Connect with us
  • SPORTS

    Barcelona Start Selling Coutinho Shirts, Mourinho Asks Pogba To Convince Dybala To United

    Published

    on

     

    REAL MADRID are preparing an opening £120million bid for Chelsea’s unsettled superstar Eden Hazard. The Spanish giants are willing to smash the British transfer record to land the ex-Lille forward, who is in his sixth season at Stamford Bridge.

    Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane will use the Belgian’s contract situation at Chelsea, with two full seasons left, to make him a Galactico.

    Hazard was left out of Saturday’s starting XI against Stoke, and was an un-used substitute as the Blues cruised to a 5-0 victory. Hazard’s current terms expire in 2020 and Real can crank up the pressure on the Premier League champions to sell.

    They know Hazard’s value will drop dramatically when if he gets within a year of his deal expiring, which gives Chelsea a massive dilemma on whether to cash in. Last week Hazard’s dad Thierry gave an interview to a Belgian newspaper saying Eden is waiting to hear if Madrid want him.

    Thierry said: “Eden has refused a contract extension to able, if necessary, to follow interest from Real Madrid.”

    He also confirmed there had been “no contact” from the Spanish champions yet. Chelsea are ready to make him the highest paid player in Premier League history with a new contract extension worth £300,00 a week. Hazard, 26, has been targeted as a player to help Real catch Barcelona after falling well behind them this season.

    Biggest premiership transfers

    • Paul Pogba (Juventus to Man Utd) £89m
    • Gareth Bale (Spurs to Real Madrid) £86m
    • Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd to Real Madrid) £80m
    • Romelu Lukaku (Everton to Man Utd) £75m
    • Virgil van Dijk (Southampton to Liverpool) £75m
    • Luis Suarez (Liverpool to Barcelona) £75m
    • Alvaro Morata (Real Madrid to Chelsea) £60m
    • Oscar (Chelsea to Shanghai SIPG) £60m
    • Angel di Maria (Real Madrid to Man Utd) £59.7m
    • Kevin de Bruyne (Wolfsburg to Man City) £55m

     

    Nike advertises Coutinho’s name on Barcelona shirts

    Barcelona kit manufacturers Nike advertised the club’s shirts with Liverpool playmaker Philippe Coutinho’s name on the back.

    Coutinho was the subject of failed bids by Barcelona in the summer and has been linked with joining them in January.

    A listing, which has since been deleted, on the Nike website read: “Philippe Coutinho is ready to light up Camp Nou.”

    The Brazilian, 25, is sponsored by Nike and wears their boots.

    Coutinho, who signed a five-year deal at the start of 2017, started the 2-1 win over Leicester on Saturday and has six goals in his past seven games for Liverpool.

    The Anfield club rejected bids of £72m, £90m and one in the region of £114m prior to the summer transfer deadline in Spain, which closed a day later than in England.

    “I do not know how the future is going to be,” Coutinho said in early December.

    “What will happen in January, we will know it in January. I do not know if there will be an offer.”

     

    Salah: Jurgen Klopp unsure on Liverpool forward’s injury

    Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp is unsure about whether forward Mohamed Salah will be fit for his side’s match against Burnley on New Year’s Day.

    The Egypt international scored twice as Liverpool beat Leicester 2-1, but limped off with seven minutes of the game remaining.

    Salah has scored 17 Premier League goals, and 23 in all competitions.

    “We have to see what his problem was,” said Klopp. “We will see what he can do for the next game.”

    The 25-year-old is second only to Harry Kane, with 18 goals, and has also laid on five assists since his £34 move from Roma in June.

    “I don’t know in this moment exactly [what it is] but he was limping. That’s never a good sign,” Klopp added.

     

    Ashley Young to miss next three Manchester United matches

    ASHLEY YOUNG will be miss Manchester United’s next three matches after his appeal over the suspension was rejected.

    The Red Devils ace had accepted the charge for violent conduct following a clash with Southampton’s Dusan Tadic. However, he claimed the suspension was excessive. But this was rejected by the Regulatory Commission and his ban will stand.

    And it means he will miss the trip to Everton on New Year’s Day, the FA Cup third round tie against Derby and and the visit of Stoke in the Premier League.

    Young, 32, appeared to lash out at Tadic with his elbow as United defended a corner.

     

    MORE FOOTBALL GOSSIP AND TRANSFERS….

    Real Madrid are preparing an opening £120m bid for Chelsea playmaker Eden Hazard, 26. (Sun)

    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has dismissed talk of a rift between striker Alexis Sanchez, 29, and the rest of the squad. (Sky Sports)

    Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola refused to rule out a fresh approach for Sanchez after Gabriel Jesus sustained a suspected knee injury against Crystal Palace on Sunday. (Talksport)

    Southampton want to sign 28-year-old Arsenal winger Theo Walcott on loan in January. (Mail)

    And Arsenal may be willing to let the former Saints player leave, with Everton, Watford and West Hamalso keen to sign him. (Mirror)

    Manchester United hope midfielder Paul Pogba can help persuade Juventus striker Paulo Dybala, 24, to sign for the club. (Mail)

    And Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho wants 24-year-old Inter Milan midfielder Joao Mario as the long-term replacement for Michael Carrick, 36. (Sun)

    Tottenham are in no rush to agree a new contract with defender Toby Alderweireld, 28, despite his current deal allowing him to leave in the summer of 2019 for £25m. (Mirror)

    Schalke midfielder Leon Goretzka, 22, will join Bayern Munich on a free transfer this summer. (Bild – in German)

    Everton target Steven N’Zonzi is set for talks with Sevilla over his future at the club. The 29-year-old midfielder fell out with former boss Eduardo Berizzo. (Liverpool Echo)

    Arsenal players wore an all-red strip for the first time in almost 40 years against West Brom on Sunday. (Sun)

    West Brom winger James McClean apologised to his team-mates for turning his back in the wall during his side’s 1-1 draw against Arsenal(Express and Star)

    Everton winger Aaron Lennon tweeted to say he was in a “great place” at the end of a year in which he was detained by police under the Mental Health Act because of concerns for his welfare.

    Comments

    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    NEWS

    She Cranes Star Nuba Reveals Why She Decided To Play For Uganda Not South Sudan; Why She Regrets Giving Birth Early…

    Published

    on

    She Cranes player Mary Nuba

    Born in South Sudan but grew in Uganda, that’s the story of the She Cranes goal shooter Mary Nuba Cholhok who was voted as the best shooter in the just concluded Fast5 Series tournament which was held in New Zealand.

    Uganda emerged in fifth position in the tournament. theGrapevine had a chance to talk to Nuba before she went back to England for her professional career.

    Grapevine: Why did you decide to play for Uganda and not for your native country South Sudan?

    Nuba: South Sudan is still lagging behind in Netball and I’m getting old, that’s why I decided to play for Uganda’s She Cranes.

    Grapevine: What challenges have you faced so far in your career?

    Nuba: Thinking about my five-year baby who stays in Uganda yet I’m in England playing for my professional club.

    Grapevine: Then what about your husband [the baby’s father] ?

    Nuba: I’m not married, though I gave birth.

    Mary Nuba was awarded Fans player of the Fast5 Series tournament

    Grapevine: How did you manage giving birth and playing Netball?

    Nuba: I realized that later that I made a mistake of getting pregnant. But I stood on my feet, forgot all the past and decided to move on with my child and my career.

    Grapevine: How do you manage those good performances?

    Nuba: I work very hard ever day in order to achieve my goals.

    Grapevine: Where do you see She Cranes in four years to come?

    Nuba: I see She Cranes winning the Netball World cup because we have good players who are still young.

    Grapevine: Tell us about the best game in your career?

    Nuba: When we defeated South Africa in the Common Wealth games in Birmingham.

    Grapevine: Who’s your role model in the game of Netball?

    Nuba: Peace Proscovia because of the way she managed to lift her life from a poor background. She is now superstar in the game.

     

     

    By Juma Ali

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    NEWS

    MIRACLE: All She Cranes Players Return After Incidents Of Players Disappearing While On Duty Abroad…

    Published

    on

    She Cranes players and one of the start player Goal Shooter Mary Cholhok Nuba

    It was a miracle this time around after all the She Cranes players returned from New Zealand.

    It has been a habit for some Netball players to escape when the team travels for international tournaments.

    Just last month, two She Cranes players; Nakanyike Shakira, who was a Police Player and Rose Namutebi, who was a KCCA Player, disappeared in UK, during She Cranes international friendlies.

    The disappearance of these two players followed the disappearance of centre Player, Halimah Nakachwa, who disappeared in UK, in 2017 during another international friendly in UK.

    However, this time around, all the nine players who went for the first five series tournament in New Zealand, where She Cranes emerged fifth, after wining three games and losing three games, all returned with the team.

    National players disappearing while on duty abroad is also a habit in other sports disciplines like; boxing, table tennis, Rugby among others.

     

    By Juma Ali

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    NEWS

    It’s Time For Golola To Rest: I’m Going To Punch Him Into Retirement – General Fungu Vows…

    Published

    on

    Moses Golola (L) and General Fungu (R)

    General Hamza Fungu has vowed to fight Moses Golola and send him into retirement come 26th December. 2022.

    Fungu said this during the launch at Akamwesi gardens today.

    Uganda’s middle weight kick boxing champion, Golola Moses is set to face his former trainer, General Hamza Fungu on bixing day at Akamwesi shopping mail gardens.

    Golola, who is known for his many words said that he has beaten many fighters who were better than Fungu, “now look at this piglet, I’m going to show him why I’m called Golola Moses ‘of Uganda ‘  and I call upon Ugandans to come and be witnesses on that day.”

    Though Golola said that he signed a contract which allows both fighters to fight until one gets tired, officials in charge of organizing the show said they will fight K-1 style for five rounds.

    Grapevine had a chance to sit down with Golola’s challenger General Fungu and and this is what he had to say;

    theGrapevine: How are you prepared for this fight?

    Fungu: I’m well prepared but they have also given us enough time. So, I’m going to prepare more.

    theGrapevine: Why, among fighters did you choose Golola?

    Fungu: I have been asking to fight Golola for the last five years but he has been dodging me. He one time asked for 20,000 dollars to fight me.

    theGrapevine: Why do you think he accepted this time around?

    Fungu: I think this time, he has been given a lot of money.

    theGrapevine: Which tactics are you going to use to defeat Golola?

    Fungu : Golola has words but I have the tactics which will defeat Golola.

    theGrapevine: Many people have come out to challenge Golola but he finally wins?

    Fungu : He has been favoured many times.

    theGrapevine: Is it true that the contract you signed for the fight allows you to fight until one of you gets tired?

    Fungu : The contract is a disadvantage to Golola not me because I was born a fighter.

    theGrapevine: What next after this fight?

    Fungu : After this fight, I will fight three more three bouts and retire.

     

    By Juma Ali

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    like us

    TRENDING

    theGrapevine is a subsidiary of Newco Publications Limited, a Ugandan multimedia group.
    We keep you posted on the latest from Uganda and the World. COPYRIGHT © 2022
    P.O Box 5511, Kampala - Uganda Tel: +256-752 227640 Email: info@thegrapevine.co.ug
    theGrapevine is licenced by Uganda Communications Commission (UCC)