Connect with us
  • SPORTS

    Chelsea boss Antonio Conte Blasts board: I need Three strikers

    We have time to bring in new players. Time to do some business before the 31st

    Published

    on

    ANTONIO CONTE has piled more pressure on the Chelsea board by insisting he needs three strikers to stand any chance of winning something this season.
    And Conte, at odds with the Chelsea hierarchy over signings all season, for the first time held out the chance that Michy Batshuayi may have a future at Stamford Bridge after his two goals condemned Newcastle to FA Cup fourth-round defeat.

    Chelsea are still in talks with Roma over a £30million deal for striker Edin Dzeko, which they hope to conclude before the transfer deadline on Wednesday night.

    Previously Conte had hinted that if the Bosnian arrives Batshuayi, who wants a move, would leave on loan, with Sevilla interested.

    But Batshuayi made it an astonishing 19 goals in 18 starts in his Chelsea career with his double strike, and after Marcos Alonso added a third, he said: “When I have a chance I take the chance. I work hard every day. What happens is not up to me – it is better you ask the manager.”

    Conte would not answer directly, but said: “When you play Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup, three strikers is the minimum. If we are able to take another player, it doesn’t mean Michy has to go on loan.

    “We only have two strikers, Alvaro Morata and Batshuayi, and Morata is out injured.”

    Batshuayi has been told by Belgium coach Roberto Martinez that he needs to be playing if he is to be in contention for the World Cup finals, but Conte said: “Every player wants to play to push the coach of their national team.

    “If the club decides to add another player, I don’t know if Michy wants to stay or go on loan.

    “It will be the player’s decision, not my decision. I’m ready to continue to work with these players.

    “I’m happy for Michy. This performance was very important for him and the team. We are talking about a young player with great potential.

    “For me the most important thing is the present, not the future. Otherwise I would have taken other choices. Michy has improved in many ways.”
    Batshuayi is likely to play again in Wednesday’s Premier League clash with Bournemouth – unless he is on the move – with Morata still recovering from a back problem.

    Disappointed Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez said: “We started well, but after we went two goals down we were more open.

    “We have time to bring in new players. Time to do some business before the 31st”.

    Comments

    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    NEWS

    She Cranes Star Nuba Reveals Why She Decided To Play For Uganda Not South Sudan; Why She Regrets Giving Birth Early…

    Published

    on

    She Cranes player Mary Nuba

    Born in South Sudan but grew in Uganda, that’s the story of the She Cranes goal shooter Mary Nuba Cholhok who was voted as the best shooter in the just concluded Fast5 Series tournament which was held in New Zealand.

    Uganda emerged in fifth position in the tournament. theGrapevine had a chance to talk to Nuba before she went back to England for her professional career.

    Grapevine: Why did you decide to play for Uganda and not for your native country South Sudan?

    Nuba: South Sudan is still lagging behind in Netball and I’m getting old, that’s why I decided to play for Uganda’s She Cranes.

    Grapevine: What challenges have you faced so far in your career?

    Nuba: Thinking about my five-year baby who stays in Uganda yet I’m in England playing for my professional club.

    Grapevine: Then what about your husband [the baby’s father] ?

    Nuba: I’m not married, though I gave birth.

    Mary Nuba was awarded Fans player of the Fast5 Series tournament

    Grapevine: How did you manage giving birth and playing Netball?

    Nuba: I realized that later that I made a mistake of getting pregnant. But I stood on my feet, forgot all the past and decided to move on with my child and my career.

    Grapevine: How do you manage those good performances?

    Nuba: I work very hard ever day in order to achieve my goals.

    Grapevine: Where do you see She Cranes in four years to come?

    Nuba: I see She Cranes winning the Netball World cup because we have good players who are still young.

    Grapevine: Tell us about the best game in your career?

    Nuba: When we defeated South Africa in the Common Wealth games in Birmingham.

    Grapevine: Who’s your role model in the game of Netball?

    Nuba: Peace Proscovia because of the way she managed to lift her life from a poor background. She is now superstar in the game.

     

     

    By Juma Ali

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    NEWS

    MIRACLE: All She Cranes Players Return After Incidents Of Players Disappearing While On Duty Abroad…

    Published

    on

    She Cranes players and one of the start player Goal Shooter Mary Cholhok Nuba

    It was a miracle this time around after all the She Cranes players returned from New Zealand.

    It has been a habit for some Netball players to escape when the team travels for international tournaments.

    Just last month, two She Cranes players; Nakanyike Shakira, who was a Police Player and Rose Namutebi, who was a KCCA Player, disappeared in UK, during She Cranes international friendlies.

    The disappearance of these two players followed the disappearance of centre Player, Halimah Nakachwa, who disappeared in UK, in 2017 during another international friendly in UK.

    However, this time around, all the nine players who went for the first five series tournament in New Zealand, where She Cranes emerged fifth, after wining three games and losing three games, all returned with the team.

    National players disappearing while on duty abroad is also a habit in other sports disciplines like; boxing, table tennis, Rugby among others.

     

    By Juma Ali

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    NEWS

    It’s Time For Golola To Rest: I’m Going To Punch Him Into Retirement – General Fungu Vows…

    Published

    on

    Moses Golola (L) and General Fungu (R)

    General Hamza Fungu has vowed to fight Moses Golola and send him into retirement come 26th December. 2022.

    Fungu said this during the launch at Akamwesi gardens today.

    Uganda’s middle weight kick boxing champion, Golola Moses is set to face his former trainer, General Hamza Fungu on bixing day at Akamwesi shopping mail gardens.

    Golola, who is known for his many words said that he has beaten many fighters who were better than Fungu, “now look at this piglet, I’m going to show him why I’m called Golola Moses ‘of Uganda ‘  and I call upon Ugandans to come and be witnesses on that day.”

    Though Golola said that he signed a contract which allows both fighters to fight until one gets tired, officials in charge of organizing the show said they will fight K-1 style for five rounds.

    Grapevine had a chance to sit down with Golola’s challenger General Fungu and and this is what he had to say;

    theGrapevine: How are you prepared for this fight?

    Fungu: I’m well prepared but they have also given us enough time. So, I’m going to prepare more.

    theGrapevine: Why, among fighters did you choose Golola?

    Fungu: I have been asking to fight Golola for the last five years but he has been dodging me. He one time asked for 20,000 dollars to fight me.

    theGrapevine: Why do you think he accepted this time around?

    Fungu: I think this time, he has been given a lot of money.

    theGrapevine: Which tactics are you going to use to defeat Golola?

    Fungu : Golola has words but I have the tactics which will defeat Golola.

    theGrapevine: Many people have come out to challenge Golola but he finally wins?

    Fungu : He has been favoured many times.

    theGrapevine: Is it true that the contract you signed for the fight allows you to fight until one of you gets tired?

    Fungu : The contract is a disadvantage to Golola not me because I was born a fighter.

    theGrapevine: What next after this fight?

    Fungu : After this fight, I will fight three more three bouts and retire.

     

    By Juma Ali

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    like us

    TRENDING

    theGrapevine is a subsidiary of Newco Publications Limited, a Ugandan multimedia group.
    We keep you posted on the latest from Uganda and the World. COPYRIGHT © 2022
    P.O Box 5511, Kampala - Uganda Tel: +256-752 227640 Email: info@thegrapevine.co.ug
    theGrapevine is licenced by Uganda Communications Commission (UCC)