Connect with us
  • NEWS

    FDC Boss Warns Speaker Among, Tayebwa: Go Slow On Fighting Personal Wars

    Published

    on

    An elder of the Forum of Democratic Change – FDC – has appealed to the Speaker of Parliament, Anita among and her deputy to stop fighting personal wars using taxpayers’ resources.

    Philip Wafula Oguttu’s appeal comes at a time when Parliament is moving to censure the Minister of State for Housing, Persis Namuganza.

    Namuganza is said to have belittled the Speaker and failed to apologize when asked to. During this time (of censuring Namuganza), Tayebwa is the one chairing the House. Among and Tayebwa are all former FDC members.

    “Rt Hons Anita and Thomas. Careful,” Oguttu warned. “Don’t use your powerful public offices, wasting taxpayers money,to fight your personal wars.”

    According to Oguttu, should the pair fail to heed to his appeal, the journey won’t be long.

    “You won’t travel a long journey in peace.”

    Comments

    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    NEWS

    We Are Not Surprised, Bobi Wine Reacts As Gov’t Shuts Down Human Rights Office; Blames Regime For His LGBTQ Photoshopped Pictures

    Published

    on

    The president of the National Unity Platform (NUP) Robert  Kyagulanyi alias Bobi Wine is unhappy with the decision by government to terminate the operations of the offfice of the United Nations High Commissioner For Human Rights (OHCHR).

    The ministry of foreign affairs said last week that it will not be renewing the mandate of OHCHR due to the strong government commitment to the promotion and protection of human rights, the prevailing peace throughout the country, presence of  strong national human rights institutions and a vibrant civil society with capacity to monitor the promtion and protection of human rights in the country.

    Bobi Wine says he is not surprised by the move, further alleging that the regime has in the past closed Non Government Organisations (NGOs), Facebook and DGF (Democratic Governance Facility) due to ‘growing international condemnation’.

    “In the face of growing international condemnation and isolation, tyrant Museveni has in the past responded by shutting down NGOs, Facebook, DGF and declaring several international staff persona Non-Grata (unwelcome) or deporting them,” Bobi Wine’s comment reads in part.

    OHCHR in 2021 condemned the brutalisation of journalists who had gone to cover Bobi Wine’s petition to OHCHR  after the 2021 general election. These were brutalised during a crash between police and NUP supporters.

    Bobi Wine has also come out to comment on pictures that have been circulating on social media portraying him as an LGBTQ advocate. Bobi Wine says the pictures were photoshopped by regime propagandists.

    “Over the past weeks, paid regime propagandists have photoshopped  these images and shared them widely to drive their known agenda. Please ignore them and treat them with contempt,” he said.

    Bobi Wine says while his supporters are ‘abducted’ and accused of computer misuse and offensive communication, regime propagandists are at liberty to fake anything against the opponents. He further stated that no amount of lies or  blackmail will deter him in his quest for a better country (Uganda).

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    NEWS

    Angels Of Death Strike, Take Two Of Uganda’s VIPs In 2023 Opener

    Published

    on

    Two of Uganda’s Very Important Persons have Monday died.

    National Unity Platform’s parliamentary flag bearer in the last year’s Omoro County by-elections, Simon Toolit Aketcha is dead.

    Toolit, died on Monday morning.

    The news of his death was confirmed by Omoro county MP Andrew Ojok Oulanyah.

    “It is a dark day in Omoro! We have lost one of our gallant sons and former MP, Hon. Simon Toolit Akecha! Hon. Toolit was the MP for Omoro County between 2006 & 2011 and was a candidate in recent by-elections. May his soul rest in eternal peace!” OJok tweeted.

    Toolit put up stiff political resistance against the late Jacob Oulanyah before also competing against his son Andrew Ojok Oulanyah.

    Toolit will be remembered as a candidate to have competed against the Oulanyah’s while holding the flag for two different parties for under ten years.

    In 2016, Toolit, then a candidate of Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) contested against NRM’s Jacob Oulanyah and polled 6,823 votes against the latter’s 8,218 votes.

    In the same manner, Uganda’s high commissioner to Kenya and Seychelles, Dr Hassan Galiwango, has died.

    Galiwango died Monday morning at Nairobi Hospital where he had been admitted.

    The late was the husband to Mbale City Woman Member of Parliament, Connie Nakayeze Galiwango.

    President Museveni appointed Galiwango as the high commissioner to Kenya in October 2020.

    Galiwango was also the former long serving director of finance and administration at the NRM secretariat at the time of his ambassadorial appointment. Ms Medina Naham, the NRM party chairperson of Koboko District, replaced him at the secretariat.

    The cause of his death is yet to be communicated by the government.

    Last year, Bank of Uganda governor prof. Emmanuel Tumusiime-Mutebile, Speaker of Parliament Jacob Oulanyah and Gen. Elly Tumwine among other VIPs died.

     

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    NEWS

    Five Dead As Bomb Goes Off In Church Near DRC, Uganda Border 

    Published

    on

    A bomb killed at least five people on Sunday after detonating in a church in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the army said.

    Details of the attack remain hazy, but military spokesman Antony Mualushayi said the “terrorist act” happened in a Pentecostal church in North Kivu province’s Kasindi, a town on the border with Uganda.

    Mualushayi later told reporters that at least five bodies had been taken to the morgue following the blast, in what he called a provisional death toll.

    Joel Kitausa, a local civil society figure, put the death toll at eight and said 27 other people had been wounded.

    AFP was unable to independently confirm the toll.

    It was not immediately clear who carried out the attack. Mualushayi said that one suspect — a Kenyan — had been arrested.

    The DRC’s communications ministry said on social media that the attack was apparently carried out by the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) group.

    The ADF — which the Islamic State group claims as its affiliate in Central Africa — is active in the Kasindi area.

    It has been accused of slaughtering thousands of Congolese civilians and carrying out bomb attacks in Uganda.

    The ADF has planted bombs in towns in North Kivu in the past.

    Since 2021 a joint Congolese-Ugandan military operation has been targeting the ADF in North Kivu and neighbouring Ituri province.

    Over 120 armed groups roam mineral-rich eastern DRC, many of which are the legacy of regional wars that flared at the turn of the 21st century.

    Source: AFP

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    like us

    TRENDING

    theGrapevine is a subsidiary of Newco Publications Limited, a Ugandan multimedia group.
    We keep you posted on the latest from Uganda and the World. COPYRIGHT © 2022
    P.O Box 5511, Kampala - Uganda Tel: +256-752 227640 Email: info@thegrapevine.co.ug
    theGrapevine is licenced by Uganda Communications Commission (UCC)