Connect with us
  • NEWS

    Full Story: Bobi Wine Withdraws Presidential Petition Against Museveni, Says He Will Not Get Justice From Owiny-Dollo’s Supreme Court…

    Published

    on

    Bobi Wine (L) and President Yoweri Museveni

    National Unity Platform (NUP) principal Robert Kyagulanyi aka Bobi Wine has decided to withdraw the petition he had filed in the Supreme Court challenging President Yoweri Museveni’s victory in the January 14th Presidential election.

    Among the reasons Bobi Wine gave court in his application for withdrawal of the petition is bias on the side of Chief Justice Alphonse Owiny-Dollo,  the Supreme Court’s rejection of evidence and affidavits that Bobi Wine submitted last week and the continued abduction of   his supporters.

    However, lawyers representing President Museveni led by Oscar Kihiika have since warned Bobi Wine that he is set to pay heavily in litigation costs and damages following his decision to withdraw the petition.

    In the petition filed by Bobi Wine’s lawyers led by Anthony Wameli and Medard Lubega Ssegona, Bobi Wine challenged the results that were announced by the Electoral Commission chairman Justice Simon Byabakama, indicating that Museveni won the election after he scored over 58%, while Bobi Wine came second with over 34%.

    Bobi Wine thus prayed to the Supreme Court to annul the results announced by the Electoral Commission and organize fresh elections in which president Museveni would not participate.

    Last week he wrote to the same court asking Chief Justice Owiny-Dollo, Justice Mike Chibita and Justice Ezekiel Kurabiraho Muhanguzi to recuse themselves from hearing the case due to conflict of interest but they all refused.

    During a pre-hearing session of the petition last week, Chief Justice Owiny-Dollo and seven other Justices of the Supreme Court rejected the inclusion of 127 affidavits  onto the earlier evidence submitted by Bobi Wine’s lawyers in support of the petition.

    Following the circumstances regarding the way the Supreme Court has been handling the petition ever since he filed it, Bobi Wine has today, Monday  February 22, 2021, through his lawyers of Lukwago & Co. Advocates, filed in court an application to withdraw the petition.

     

    Reasons For Withdrawal Of Petition

    We have since  learnt that Bobi Wine held a private meeting with his lawyers and top NUP members at his home in Magere on Sunday night, where they came up with 25 reasons why he should withdraw the petition.

    The Grapevine has since established that although Bobi Wine has given court 25 reasons why he decided to withdraw the petition, the overriding ones are the following;

    Bobi Wine says that chief amongst reasons for withdrawal of the petition is the Supreme Court’s rejection of evidence his lawyers filed last week, which exposed the malpractices that were exhibited in the presidential election.

    He contends that ever since he filed the petition, hundreds of his followers have been tortured, many abducted and other subjected to political persecution in a  bid to intimidate and scare them from going to court as witnesses.

    He also told court that during the time he was put under house arrest, shortly after the election, he was barred by the police and army from meeting his lawyers and supporters such that they could gather enough evidence within the stipulated time to file the petition.   He argues that court  based upon the same infringement on his rights to movement to rule that additional evidence filed by his lawyers was limited by time.

    Another reasons Bobi Wine gave court is the continued abductions, murder and torture of his supporters ever since the 2020-2021 electoral period started, plus the continued human rights abuses in the country being perpetrated by security forces with impunity.

    He also asserts that he will not attain justice from the Supreme Court because the Chief Justice Owiny-Dollo and two other Justices of the same court are in cahoots with the respondent (Museveni).

    Speaking about the matter, city lawyer Peter Walubiri supported Bobi Wine’s decision,  saying that it has further shown the Judiciary went to the dogs and Ugandans no longer have trust in courts of law.

    “It means that NUP has lost trust in court. However, it also shows that the path court took in the first place showed that there will not be justice. The same court allowed applicants in other petitions like that of Besigye and Mbabazi to file additional evidence. But this time round, the same court denied Bobi Wine an opportunity to file additional evidence,” Walubiri said.

    He added that; “The Supreme Court also rejected additional evidence yet in all other petitions they have been allowing it, even when time for filing additional evidence has expired.”

     

    Litigation Costs And Compensation For Museveni

    Our sources reveal that the meeting that sat at Magere also discussed how Bobi Wine shall meet the litigation costs and damages arising from withdrawal of the petition.

    Accordingly, the meeting agreed to start fundraising immediately from NUP supporters and well-wishers both in Uganda and the Diaspora for money which will be used to settle the costs  and damages that shall be awarded by court to President Museveni and his legal team.

    As such, a special fund has since been created in the NUP treasury office to cater for costs  and damages in the event that  the Supreme Court  awards the respondents  of the petition the same.

    However, it should be noted that the Supreme Court is yet to pronounce itself on the matter at a date that shall be communicated.

    Commenting about Bobi Wine’s decision to withdraw the case, Counsel Enoch Barata, who is the head of Legal Affairs at the National Resistance Movement Secretariat and part of President Museveni’s legal team, said that it is everyone’s right to withdraw a case from court but it comes with a lot of responsibilities.

    “It is his right to withdraw any case he/she has filed. However, there is a certain court process to be followed when withdrawing the case. It comes with compensating the other side and its legal team for all the money they have spent in the case.”

    He added that; “However, we have not reached that level. Let’s wait and see what court decides and if that decision is taken by court, we shall have no problem with that.”

     

    By Grapevine Reporter

    Comments

    NEWS

    Breaking: Buganda Kingdom Regent Owek. Tycoon Ssekalala, Who Raised Kabaka Mutebi Is Dead…

    Published

    on

    Famous Buganda kingdom stalwart Aga  Sekalala Sr, who was also one of Uganda’s prominent businessmen, has passed on.

    Acccording to credible sources, tycoon Sekalala, who was also the proprietor of Simba FM, UGACHICK and several other business ventures across the country, passed away while at his retirement home on Kazi Island, Bugaba- Bufumira Sub-county in Ssese Islands.

    Reliable sources reveal that Owek. Sekalala, who was one of the few Buganda kingdom regents that raised reigning Kabaka Ronald Muwenda Mutebi, has been one of the greatest pillars of Buganda Kingdom.

    This is because he was one of the few nobles who grew up in the realm of the Buganda Kingdom throne and was very influential all throughout the life of Kabaka Mutebi’s father His Majesty Ssekabaka Fredrick Mutesa I.

    According to Charles Tusubira, one of the elders in Ssese Islands, the late Ssekalala had worked tirelessly towards uplifting the lives the of people living in the islands by promoting education and sanitation amongst the island communities through constructing schools and financing health facilities.

    Details about Owek. Sekalala’s demise and his final send-off will be communicated in our subsequent reports.

     

    By Grapevine Reporter

     

     

     

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    NEWS

    Lawyer Mabirizi Petitions Regional Court To Stop Bobi Wine From Withdrawing Presidential Petition Against M7, Challenges Justice Dollo’s Refusal To Recuse Himself From Case…

    Published

    on

    Lawyer Male Mabirizi (L) and Robert Kyagulanyi aka Bobi Wine

    Maverick city lawyer Hassan Male Mabirizi, has petitioned  the East African Court of Justices, seeking an order stopping National Unity Platform(NUP) principal Robert Kyagulanyi  aka Bobi Wine from withdrawing the  petition he filed at the Supreme Court challenging President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni’s reelection.

    In his application for Stay of Proceedings or restraining of Chief Justice Alphonse Owiny-Dollo from taking part in the proceedings of Bobi Wine’s petition, Mabirizi seeks among others;

    “Staying all the proceedings and under presidential elections petition No.1 of 2021 (Kyagulanyi Ssentamu Robert VS Yoweri Museveni Tibuhaburwa, the Electoral Commission and the Attorney General including, but not limited to the actual Misc Application, Misc Application No 05 of 2021 for withdrawal of the petition and any other proceeding be UNTIL FINAL DETERMINATION OF THE EAST AFRICAN COURT OF JUSTICE REERENCE N0 09 2021.”

    He further insists that he will suffer irreparable damage if the petition proceeds with Chief Justice Owiny-Dollo participating on the panel of the nine justices of the Supreme Court, who are handling the said petition.

    He prays to the E.A Court to speed up the hearing of the application for balance of convenience, which is likely to be in his favour.

    Mabirizi challenges Chief Justice Dollo’s decision of declining to recuse himself from the panel of Justices who are hearing Bobi Wine’s petition on grounds of having been a lawyer to the 1st respondent, Museveni, which is tantamount to conflict of interest and likely to result into bias.

    The Attorney General however is yet respond  to Mabirizi’s Application.

    Meanwhile, the  Supreme Court has set Thursday March 4th, 2021 as the date for hearing the fate of Bobi Wine’s application for withdrawal of the petition and whether it shall be granted or not.

    It should also be noted that former presidential candidate Willy Mayambala has since written to the Supreme Court seeking advise on how he can inherit the petition, such that it can be heard by court to its logical end.

    By Arilabaki Sengooba

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    NEWS

    Opposition Politicians Must Stop Using Facebook  To Spread False Rumours-Museveni Warns

    Published

    on

    President Yoweri Museveni (L) and Facebook owner Mark Zuckerberg

    President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has faulted social media platform Facebook for being used by opposition figures in Uganda to spread false rumours about the country.

    Museveni made the remarks on Sunday during a meeting he held with a group of National Resistance Movement (NRM) cadres who conducted online campaigns for the ruling party during the recently concluded general election.

    Blaming Facebook for trying to sabotage NRM party campaigns by blocking and or deleting all pages and accounts that were being managed by NRM supporters, Museveni said that; “They deleted our people’s accounts under the guise, but we can see the bias, the discrimination standards they used. You cannot say that these were doing wrong, what about the other group (opposition) that have been spreading all forms of wrong information and inciting our people?” Museveni questioned, according to a State House statement issued on Sunday.

    He accused opposition politicians of spreading rumours using social media by painting a negative image about the country’s security situation in the eyes of the international community, saying that the limitation of access to Facebook will not stop the most important things from happening in Uganda.

    It should be noted that ever since President Museveni fell out with the owners of Facebook, he has since stopped giving national updates through his official Facebook page like he used to.

    Actually, the President last made a Facebook on post January 11th, shortly before the country went into elections and since then he has never made any public communication via his Facebook account.

    President Museveni fell out with   Facebook last year after  the government requested the social media platform owners to switch off all pages and media outlets that were presumed to be supporting Robert Kyagulanyi aka Bobi Wine’s National Unity Platform (NUP) agenda.

    However, instead implementing the government’s request, Facebook  advised government to take the matter to court, because it was likely to attract litigation.

    In retaliation, state operatives led by Ashburg Katto, Andrew Mukasa aka Bajjo, hacked pages and  media outlets that were being managed by NRM bloggers on Facebook, something that annoyed President Museveni.

    He thus ordered the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology, plus the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) to ensure that internet and social media are switched off completely, which  was the case until the electoral period was wound down.

    Although last month President Museveni directed the UCC and Ministry of ICT to switch back on the internet and social media, access to  Facebook  and other social media platforms  still remains restricted.

     

    By Grapevine Reporter

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    like us

    TRENDING