Connect with us
  • NATIONAL

    How Kaweesi Survived Two Assasination Attempts And How His Kids Survived Dying With Him

    Published

    on

    Information so far obtained by investigators on the case of the murder of fallen police mouthpiece Andrew Felix Kaweesi shows that he survived two previous assassination attempts.

    According to security sources who are interrogating former Kampala metropolitan north flying squad boss Abbey Kitagenda, Kaweesi survived two previous attempts before he was finally killed.

     

    How Kaweesi escaped death for two Times.

    The last meeting to put Kaweesi out of action was held at Kati Kati restaurant along Lugogo bypass and was attended by officers from the police force and Muhoza (Kaweesi’s side dish).

    During this meeting, Kaweesi’s program for the week was presented and scrutinized. The assailants agreed that it was best to end his life on his way from Entebbe (to meet Muhoza) and she was assigned with a role of updating the hitmen on Kaweesi’s moves.

    However, Kaweesi never showed up, he called Muhoza and postponed the meeting.

    The security source added that Kaweesi agreed to meet Muhoza at Kanjokya street in Kamwokya, a Kampala Suburb. The assassins were briefed on the new development so they plotted to end him at Kanjokya after the Entebbe mission had failed.

    When Kaweesi reached Kanjokya, he just picked Mbabazi and sped off to Romeos restaurant in Ntinda where he had a meeting with a journalist for an interview.

    At Ntinda, Kaweesi was restless after Mbabazi confided to him what scared him. He cancelled his meeting with the journalist and left.

    Second time escape: A day before Kaweesi was killed, he left his office very late because he was preparing his speech for a function the next day at Mukono based Uganda Christian University.

    Since it was too late, Kaweesi passed by Kira police post where he picked a patrol car to accompany him home, saving his life for the second time.

    Here, according to Kitagenda’s statement, the assailants withdrew and moved to areas of Buwate in Gayaza where they spent a night before invading Kulambiro the next morning.

    How his kids survived

    According to information obtained by investigators from some of the key suspects in custody, the assailants had instructions to shoot everyone in the car even if the wife or kids were there.

    Kaweesi sometimes used to first drop his kids at school and then continue to work. However, on the fateful day, the driver first drove Kaweesi’s kids to school before coming back to pick him.

    The investigators have also discovered that, by the time Kaweesi was killed, police throughout the entire Kira command area had been withdrawn by the Commander for a head count at Kira police station, something which was un usual since head counts are always done once a week and on Monday.

    We are almost done with investigations

    Yesterday, the Director General of Internal Security Organisation (ISO), Col Kaka Bagyenda told the media that investigations into the murder of Kaweesi will be concluded soon.

    Without revealing how many suspects have been arrested or whether the security was getting clues that would lead to arrest of more suspects, Kaka said, “we shall soon finalise the investigations and will hand over [the suspects] to police for prosecution.”

    The journey so far

    On 17/03/2017 at about 9:30am, Assistant Inspector General of Police Andrew Felix Kaweesi , his body Guard Kenneth Erau and driver Godfrey Mumbewa were shot dead 100 meters from Kaweesi’s  home in Kulambiro, Nakawa Division.

    The assassination of Kaweesi shocked the nation after over 80 bullets were fired at his car.

    His death saw the arrest of over 20 people who security agencies pinned for being in the plot.

    However, just after President Museveni’s axing of former Inspector General of Police (IGP) Gen Kale Kayihura, some of the suspects, mainly Muslims, who were arrested and detained at Nalufenya detention centre were set free with state prosecutors stating that there was no clear evidence connecting them to the assassination.

    The suspects told court that they were arrested from their homes and unlawfully detained before being transferred to the Nalufenya Police Station in Jinja District where they were forced to accept that they killed Kaweesi.

    Kampala High Court Judge Margret Oguli ordered government to pay Shs80 million to each of the 22 suspects at 20 per cent interest from date of court ruling (October 12, 2017) on grounds that prison authorities violated their rights by torturing them while in custody.

    Since then, the Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence (CMI) and the Internal Security Organisation (ISO), with the help of some police officers have taken over the investigations which has seen a turn in events. New evidence so far gathered shows that the killing of Kaweesi could have been an inside job with big police officers involved.

    The tireless work done by the joint team of security agencies is quickly baring fruits.

     

    By Hadadi Mubiru

    Comments

    NATIONAL

    Security On High Alert After Sunday ADF-Linked Bomb Blast Near Uganda, DR Congo Border

    Published

    on

    Uganda security agencies have been put on high alert after a bomb linked to the Allied Democratic Forces – ADF went off yesterday near Uganda, Congo border.

    The incident in the Eastern DRC happened at Pentecostal Church in Lhubirira, an immediate town located 4kms after Mpondwe border point. At least 10 people died on the spot and 47 others suffered injuries.

    “The terror attack shows that terrorism can occur any time and anywhere, and further reminds us all of the terrorist threats that we face as a country. Because of the existing threat environment, our Joint Counter terror task teams from CMI, Crime Intelligence, Counter terrorism, CID in coordination with territorial units, continue to operate with a heightened state of readiness. It is approximately, 425days, since the double terror task at CPS and Kampala Avenue that have led to several investigations, multiple arrests and recovery of an assortment of dangerous weapons. So far, 18 guns have been recovered, 1 PK gun and 116 PK rounds, 1 pistol, 7 IEDs, 21 electronic detoriators, 52 explogel explosives, 2 Axel blades, 2 emulsion explosives, an assortment of bomb making materials, walkie talkies, mobile phones, 185 other types of ammunition, and motorcycles etc. In addition, a total of 57 suspects (terrorists and rebels) have been arrested,” Police Spokesperson who doubles as the Joint Security Spokesman told the media in Kampala on Monday.

    And while those disruptive operations present a positive step in securing the safety of Ugandans, Enanga says that “there is still work to identify ADF cells of agents, collaborators, operatives and sponsors within the country.”

    “Several measures have also been put in place, to avert any hostile infiltrations and attacks at Mpondwe border and all other crossing points. For instance, we have stopped the movement of cargo and passenger boats across Lake Albert, intensified patrols in Bugoma forest and across the borderlines, bolstered security at major installations, markets and parking yards, and intensified intelligence on several targets among others,” he said.

    Enanga, however, asked the public not to be alarmed “by these steps because it is meant for their safety.”

    “We would like to further remind the public that the threats of terrorism are real, especially on soft targets, which are many and sometimes difficult to defend, especially restaurants, markets, shopping centres, public transportation hubs like taxi and bus parks, places of worship and other crowded places etc. as a result, we call upon the public to be extra alert and vigilant, as they go about their activities. Remember, the best defence against any terrorist threats is our collective community effort. Once again, please be alert but not alarmed. And report any suspicious behaviour or activity to the nearest police unit or security agency.”

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    NATIONAL

    City Babe Who Offered Room For Cousin & Her Boyfriend Arrested For Double Murder

    Published

    on

    The police are investigating circumstances under which two young adults died in a fire at Jinja-Nabweru on Thursday evening.

    The deceased have been identified as Patricia, 24, and Kajumba, 27.

    Findings show that the lovers visited Suzan Keitesi, 24; a cousin of Patricia on Thursday morning. Keitesi is a resident in an apartment at Jinja Kawempe Zone A, Jinja Kawempe Ward in Nabweru Division.

    However, the pair were found dead on Thursday evening in a suspicious manner, while Keitesi was rushed to a nearby clinic and later Kawempe hospital for first aid. She was later discharged that day.

    Suspecting foul play, detectives attached to Kawempe Police Station interacted with Keitesi on her hospital bed. Her statement looked uncoordinated. She has been detained as further investigations continue.

    Deputy Police Spokesperson Luke Owoyesigyire says Patricia and her boyfriend are suspected to have been murdered.

    “We have reserved the scene for further examination by officials from National Building Review Board, UMEME, and other stakeholders, to ascertain the exact cause of the fire. 

    Whereas the tenant had a gas cooker, it was in a store and it remained intact,” Owoyesigyire said. “We have however arrested Kaitesi Suzan on allegations of Murder as investigations continue.”

     

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    NATIONAL

    Aponye MD Harold Byamugisha Still Missing – Security

    Published

    on

    Police are searching for the Managing Director of Aponye Uganda Limited who went missing on Sunday night.

    Harold Byamugisha is said to have left home on Sunday dressed casually, promising his wife that he was to return.

    “The wife says he left home in a yellow shirt and white shorts. She said he called her around 11pm and informed her that he could return home in 20 minutes. He didn’t return,” Deputy Kampala Metropolitan Police Spokesperson Luke Owoyesigyire told the media yesterday.

    Byamugisha’s family has also put up an announcement, promising a Shs5m reward to anyone who can help them find him.

    “He was last seen in Ntinda on Sunday…driving his motor vehicle, a Range Rover, white in colour number UBF 017D. This is to inform the general public that whoever has any idea of his whereabouts, please call us on 0775363017, 07770611435 or report to the nearest police station. A reward of Shs5m is available,” the notice reads in part.

    But while reports emerged Friday morning that he had been found, security sources say Byamugisha is yet to be found.

    “He called us yesterday and said he is okay. But the wife who reported the case hasn’t physically seen him,” a security source said.

    Owoyesigyire says Byamugisha is still missing.

    “To us, he is still missing,” he said. “So, we are still looking for him and he is not safe and sound like he said.”

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    like us

    TRENDING

    theGrapevine is a subsidiary of Newco Publications Limited, a Ugandan multimedia group.
    We keep you posted on the latest from Uganda and the World. COPYRIGHT © 2022
    P.O Box 5511, Kampala - Uganda Tel: +256-752 227640 Email: info@thegrapevine.co.ug
    theGrapevine is licenced by Uganda Communications Commission (UCC)