Connect with us

SPORTS

Is This The Worst World Cup For Africa? Drogba On What African Teams Need To Do To Change World Cup Fortunes

Published

on

African football has suffered a “big step back” after Senegal’s exit sealed the continent’s worst World Cup showing for 36 years, says Didier Drogba.

Senegal became the first team in World Cup history to go out on the fair play rule after losing to Colombia.

Egypt, Morocco, Nigeria and Tunisia had already fallen at the group stage. “Africa is going to be successful one day but we need to think again how we approach these big competitions,” said former Ivory Coast striker Drogba told BBC. No team from Africa has advanced beyond the quarter-finals at a World Cup.
When will an African team win the World Cup?
However, since 1982 – when Algeria and Cameroon went out at the group stage – at least one country from the continent has made it to the knockout stage. Until now.

In Russia, African teams have managed just three wins and lost 10 in 15 attempts. “It’s a big step back,” added Drogba, who scored 65 times in 104 appearances for Ivory Coast, on Match of the Day.

“I also think it is a chance for all the African teams and for the African Confederation maybe to reconsider the strategy and how we want to go forward.

“What do we want to do in the next World Cup? We have the potential, we have the money to develop, but we need more than that. “We need to have the consistency and the structure of the European teams and the South American teams. “We are going to be successful one day but we need to think again how we approach these big competitions.”

How African teams have fared at World Cups
Green: teams qualified, blue: teams reaching knockout stage

Egypt lost all three Group A games in Russia, while Morocco managed just one point – against Spain – in Group B.

Tunisia lost their opening two Group G matches before beating Panama when both sides had already been eliminated and, although Nigeria beat Iceland, they have also exited the tournament after finishing third in Group D.

Senegal, making their first appearance at the World Cup since reaching the quarter-finalists in 2002, had taken four points from their first two Group H games after beating Poland and drawing with Japan.

The Teranga Lions would have progressed with a draw against Colombia, and defender Kalidou Koulibaly said on the eve of the match in Samara that the “whole of Africa” was behind Senegal. However, Yerry Mina’s second-half header sent Colombia through.

 

Source: BBC

Comments

SPORTS

MESSI: Suarez Was Unfairly “Forced” Out…

Published

on

Argentinian star and Barcelona forward, Lionel Messi has expressed emotional grief after the departure of Uruguayan counterpart Luis Suarez to rivals Atletico Madrid for £5.5m on a two-year deal.

The 33 year old had one more year to run on the contract he signed with Barca in 2016, but was told by new head coach Ronald Koeman last month that he was not part of his plans.

Suarez and Lionel Messi struck up a strong friendship on and off the field at Barcelona.

With Messi, Suarez won La Liga titles, four Copa del Reys, the Champions League, the Club World Cup and the European Super Cup during his hugely successful time at the Nou Camp.

Suarez was filmed leaving Barcelona’s training ground in tears on Wednesday as his transfer to Atletico neared completion.

Suarez departs Barcelona as their second-highest goal-scorer of all time, having scored 198 goals since signing from Liverpool in 2014.

Lionel Messi has aimed fresh criticism at the Barcelona hierarchy, following Suarez’s departure from the club to Atletico.

Messi, who came close to leaving the Nou Camp earlier in the transfer window before reversing his threat to end his contract unilaterally, has hit out at the club’s management of Suarez’s departure from the Spanish giants.

He wrote on Instagram: “You deserved a fitting farewell for the person that you are: one of the best players in the club’s history, having achieved incredible things both individually and collectively. You didn’t deserve to be pushed out the way they did, but the truth is nothing surprises me anymore.

 

Via SkySports

Comments

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Kajoba Has No Excuse Of Not Retaining The League Title For Vipers – Coach Makumbi…

Published

on

Former Bunamwaya FC coach, Richard Makumbi has said that Fred Kajoba will have no excuses for not winning the Uganda Premier League title next season.

Makumbi who is the current head coach, for Mbarara outfit Nyamitoobora in the FUFA Big league added that Vipers management have given Kajoba everything he needs like; signing players of his choice and recruiting experienced Paul Kiwanuka from Bright Stars as his assistant coach.

Coach Makumbi says there will therefore be no excuse if Kajoba doesn’t win the league, because he has been given what he asked for to retain the league.

“If you are given what you ask for, you have to get the job done, there’s is no excuse for that, coach Kajoba must make sure Vipers are crowned league champions,” Makumbi emphasized.

The experienced coach however also cited the need for coach Kajoba to make winning at home traditional, and register victories on the road,  as part of his bargain.

Makumbi who was baptized the ‘King of promotions’ after leading various clubs to the Uganda Premier League from the FUFA Big League tipped Vipers for the title crown.

He however also noted that KCCA and URA have prepared well and are in for some stiff competition.

 

By Juma Ali

Comments

Continue Reading

SPORTS

COVID19 Has Left Us Penniless, We Now Need Support – Boxing Council Boss Katongole Cries Out…

Published

on

Uganda Professional Boxing Council (UPBC) Vice President, Simon Katongole has said that their lives have been negatively affected since the outbreak of the COVID19.

In an interview with theGrapevine, Katongole said that the cancellation of all boxing fights buried their source of income.

Katongole disclosed that before the lockdown, three international fights had been arranged, one at Hotel Africana and two at International University of East Africa (IUEA).

Frank Kiwalabye was scheduled to take on a South African opponent while heavy weight boxer Shafic Kiwanuka was set to face an Egyptian.

Katongole said that they now need support like all the other organisations that have been affected by COVID19, “We are broke, we don’t have anything in our pockets.”

Katongole further hinted that even if government opens up sporting activities including boxing, as long as fans are excluded from attending these events, they will still struggle financially.

 

By Juma Ali

Comments

Continue Reading

like us

TRENDING

error: Content is protected !!