Connect with us
  • NATIONAL

    M7 Narrates How Italian Investor Pinetti ‘Trapped’ Him With Arabian Tycoons On Vinci Coffee Agreement: D/Speaker Vows Controversial Deal Will Not Be Terminated…

    Published

    on

    Pinetti and Minister Kasaija after inking the coffee deal. President Museveni and D/Speaker Tayebwa (top L) claim deal will not be terminated

    President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has narrated how Italian investor Enrica Penetti compromised him by presenting Arabian tycoons from Saudi Arabia in a bid to convince him to support Uganda Vinci Coffee Company Limited (UVCCL) deal.

    President Museveni told Mbarara City South legislator Mwine Mpaka’s Committee on Trade, Tourism and Industry, who met him at State House Entebbe, that Pinetti approached him and proposed that she has potential investors from Saudi Arabia who are willing to invest their money in the country’s coffee sector.

    One of the six legislators who attended Museveni’s State House meeting revealed to theGrapevine that the big man from Rwakitura told them that he wanted to clean his name before the report was tabled on the floor of parliament.

    He divulged that Museveni told them that when Pinetti told him about the Arabian investors, who were interested in adding value to Uganda’s coffee so that it can be sold on the international market, he was very excited and told her to bring them to him because he was tired of seeing Ugandan farmers being exploited by fake coffee dealers.

    He revealed that the entire process started in 2015. When he met the investors, he was very happy with their proposal.

    Other sources that attended the meeting revealed that after meeting Pinetti and her Arabian investors, Museveni directed officials in the Ministry of Finance to help them establish their business in the country.

    He added that since then, he was not following the process until he read in the media about the said signed agreement.

    Museveni told committee members that he first reserved his comment to study the agreement.

    He explained that surprisingly, while he was studying the report, the Speaker of Parliament, Annet Anita Among directed the committee to investigate the agreement.

    The President divulged that he didn’t get time to give his view on the said report which led some people to allege that he has interest in the coffee deal.

    Sources said that Museveni told the legislators that he studied the agreement and established that there were small mistakes which were made during its drafting but these mistakes can be corrected.

    Sources added that Mpaka told the president that it was already late for the committee to accommodate his views since all members had already signed on the report and handed it to parliamentary authorities.

    The President agreed with them to table it on the floor of parliament.

    Sources in State House further revealed that the big man is still interested in the coffee deal and he is likely to use the six months period given to the executive to respond to the resolutions made by parliament and make sure all the mistakes made in the agreement are rectified.

    During his address to the nation on Sunday, Museveni said he will give more details on the coffee deal in his State of the Nation address.

    “I will touch on the issue of the so-called coffee deal that was being discussed in Parliament the other day. I could see fundamental disorientation in the position of some of the speakers that were speaking in Parliament,” Museveni promised on Sunday.

    Kira Municipality legislator, Ibrahim Ssemujju Nganda said that president Museveni is good at buying time whenever he is facing pressure from the public.

    He gave an example of when he faced a lot of political pressure from Dr. Kizza Besigye after the 2016 presidential elections, Museveni negotiated a deal with political brokers like veteran journalist Andrew Mwenda to persuade Besigye to sit with him and seal a peace deal with him.

    Besigye refused the deal and told the brokers that he understands Museveni very well.

    Coffee Deal Is Going Nowhere – Deputy Speaker Thomas

    Meanwhile, the deputy Speaker of Parliament, Thomas Tayembwa has revealed that the coffee agreement between the government of Uganda and Uganda Vinci Coffee Company Limited (UVCCL) will not be terminated.

    Tayebwa, who also doubles as the Ruhinda North Member of Parliament (MP) noted that after several meetings held with Museveni, the deal will be returned with minor changes in some clauses.

    “What I can confirm to you is that nobody is going to take away your coffee. We had a meeting with the President and agreed to change a few things in that controversial coffee agreement. The president shall soon give the nation an update regarding the same matter,” Tayebwa said.

    Parliament supported Mpaka’s committee report that recommended the cancellation of the agreement saying it is illegal.

    In his report, Mpaka noted that, “Officials who committed the government to such illegalities should be penalized as a deterrent mechanism to stop similar occurrences in future. The Government is directed to terminate this agreement and report to Parliament, within six months from the date of adoption of this report.”

     

    By Sengooba Alirabaki

    and Kobusiinge Monica

    Comments

    CRIME

    Why M7 Appointed Trusted Brother Gen. Saleh To Command Fight Against Gunmen Attacks On Security Forces …

    Published

    on

    President Museveni and his brother Gen. Salim Saleh

    President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, the Commander in Chief has assigned his young trusted brother and special senior presidential advisor Gen. Salim Saleh to supervise the fight against gunmen who are attacking security installations and forces.

    Credible security sources have intimated to theGrapevine that Museveni was briefed by his confidant intelligence team that security agencies have failed to defeat the armed men who attack police posts and military barracks.

    Internal Affairs State Minister Gen. David Muhoozi briefed parliament that 22 suspects including UPDF soldiers and two police officers were charged before the court martial on offences related to the recent attacks on police stations and military barracks. The minister said that within a period of 12 months, 13 attacks have been reported, 15 guns were stolen and 6 of these have not yet been recovered.

    “According to available intelligence, the motives for these actions are acquisition of arms for subversive activities, as well as for other criminal ends other than subversion,” the minister said.

    However, the minister explained that some of the attacks were as a result of laxity in the security forces and sources have said that it is this laxity that has forced President Museveni to bring back Gen. Saleh after establishing that his security forces were carrying out uncoordinated operations against the said gunmen.

    Sources added that the big man was very bitter with some security bosses for giving uncoordinated statements, he gave an example of the statement issued by police identifying the gunmen as rebels which the army rubbished and insisted that the attackers are criminal gangs.

    Sources said that Museveni directed all security bosses that before an operation is carried out, Gen. Saleh has to be informed and if it is an emergency, he has to be briefed not beyond five hours after the operation.

    “You know these gangs have started using tactics which President Museveni’s NRA rebels used especially when they started attacking security installation with the aim of stealing guns, didn’t you hear that the attackers at Gaddafi barracks in Jinja first strangled the UPDF soldier before firing bullets on his dead body?” a source said.

    He added that Museveni wants Gen. Saleh to use the same tactics they have previously used to fight gunmen.

    Another source said that there is a sharp division within security agencies and the president wants Gen. Saleh to fix it and save the situation.

    Gen. Muhoozi Kainerugaba, the special presidential senior advisor on operation, has been the supervisor of all the operations in the country.

     

    By Sengooba Alirabaki

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    NATIONAL

    Has Bobi Wine Finally Made Up His Mind To Replace Mpuuga With Zaake? Battle For LOP Position Rages On, NUP Speaks out…

    Published

    on

    L-R: Mityana municipality MP Zaake, LOP Mpuuga and NUP boss Bobi Wine

    David Lewis Rubongoya, the National Unity Platform (NUP) Secretary General has rubbished allegations that his party president Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu alias Bobi Wine has written to Annet Anita Among, the Speaker of Parliament, appointing Mityana Municipality Member of Parliament (MP) Francis Zaake as the Leader of Opposition in Parliament replacing Mathias Mpuuga Nsamba.

    Rubongoya said that the aim of people who are circulating allegations that Bobi Wine has fired Mpuuga is to disorganise opposition legislators and NUP members at large which they cannot accept as NUP leadership.

    The allegation come at a time when Bobi Wine has just blasted some of his party MPs and opposition at large for not supporting Zaake when he was protesting on the floor of parliament over the kidnapping of opposition supporters especially in Buganda.

    Thomas Tayebwa, the deputy speaker of parliament early this week sent Zaake to the parliament’s disciplinary committee for violating his orders when he insisted on commenting on the ongoing kidnaps in the country even after advising him on the right procedure to follow.

    However, Bobi Wine claims that it was wrong for Tayebwa to frustrate Zaake and praised Makindye West legislator Derrick Nyeko, Kasanda South’s Frank Kabuye, Nakaseke Central’s Allan Mayanja and Kilak South’s Gilbert Olanyah who stood with Zaake when he was protesting.

    Sources inside NUP revealed that Bobi Wine is very determined to drop all the opposition leadership in parliament because they are not respecting his orders and are in bed with the ruling National Resistance Movement (NRM) party which he says is betrayal.

    Sources added that apart from Zaake, other people who are being vetted to replace Mpuuga include Busiro East’s Medard Lubega Ssegona and Kasanda North’s Patrick Oshabe Nsamba.

     

    By Sengooba Alirabaki

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    CRIME

    Buganda Premier Mayiga In Panic Over City Businessman Who Wants To Finish Him…

    Published

    on

    Buganda premier Charles Peter Mayiga

    Kampala Metropolitan police spokesperson Patrick Onyango has revealed that detectives from Old Kampala police station have kicked off investigation against a controversial city businessman for inciting Kisekka market youths against Buganda Premier Charles Peter Mayiga.

    In an exclusive interview with theGrapevine, Onyango said that on Monday morning, Old Kampala police received information about angry Buganda youths who were threatening to cause insecurity at Bulange building which houses Buganda Kingdom headquarters.

    Onyango said that his police quickly saved the situation and arrested some of the youths who led the attack.

    He explained that preliminary investigation show that there might be a big man behind the goons who were hired from Kisekka market to bring tension and panic at Bulange building and against the person of Mayiga.

    “They are going to be charged with the offences of criminal trespass and inciting violence. However, investigations are ongoing and we might charge them with other offences because we are still looking for that person who is behind them,” Onyango said.

    Detectives at Old Kampala police told theGrapevine that they suspect that there is a top city tycoon who facilitated these youths to attack Buganda Kingdom.

    He added that they might be the ones who forged the signature of the Buganda Kingdom King Ronald Muwenda Mutebi that was put on the letter suspending all works at all Kingdom institutions including clans headquarters, his palaces and at the Kingdom headquarters.

    In the forged letter, there were instructions directing UPDF and Uganda Police with immediate effect to stop providing security at the said Kingdom headquarters.

    Detectives added that the youths identified themselves as Kabaka Munyango and are the ones who normally escort Kabaka Mutebi when he is travelling internally.

    It is alleged the suspects wanted to stage a deadly protest against Kabaka as a way of provoking his security to fire bullets at them which would have resulted in bloodshed.

    The suspects were found with machetes and placards with writings pleading to Kabaka Mutebi to fire Mayiga over incompetence and corruption.

    Buganda Kingdom disowned the said letter insisting that it was not signed by Kabaka.

    However, sources within Mengo revealed that the letter was authored within Bulange by Mayiga’s enemies.

    Efforts to get a comment from Buganda Kingdom were futile as Noor Kiyimba, the Kingdom’s information and cabinet minister was not picking our calls by press time.

     

    By Sengooba Alirabaki

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    like us

    TRENDING

    theGrapevine is a subsidiary of Newco Publications Limited, a Ugandan multimedia group.
    We keep you posted on the latest from Uganda and the World. COPYRIGHT © 2022
    P.O Box 5511, Kampala - Uganda Tel: +256-752 227640 Email: info@thegrapevine.co.ug
    theGrapevine is licenced by Uganda Communications Commission (UCC)