Connect with us

    Maj. Gen. Olum Ordered To Put His Men On Standby As DRC Forces, M23 Rebels Resume Fighting…



    Former operation Shujaa commander Lt. Gen. Kayanja Muhanga (R) handing over office to Maj. Gen. Dick Olum (L)

    Maj. Gen. Dick Olum, the commander of the UPDF Mountain Division and operation Shujaa has been ordered to put his men on standby after the fight between Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) forces and M23 rebels resumes.

    Speaking of theGrapevine, Vincent Ssempijja, Uganda’s Minister of Defense and Veteran Affairs revealed that orders were given to Maj. Gen. Olum to put his boys on standby to react in case they are attacked.

    UPDF commandos were deployed in DRC to look for and eliminate all ADF elements who were causing insecurity in DRC and in Uganda.

    By the time President Museveni ordered for the deployment of UPDF in DRC, ADF terrorists have made several attacks in Uganda were several citizens were killed.

    They included bomb blasts at Digida bar and Restaurant in Komamboga a Kampala suburb, at Kampala Central police station (CPS) and at parliamentary Avenue.

    “We are in DRC legally, you know very well that we have signed an agreement with DRC government for a joint operation against those ADF terrorists, so our forces have the right to defend themselves if they attacked,” Ssempijja said.

    He added that UPDF will stay longer in DRC to protect Uganda’s interests especially at this time when such fighting starts which might end up at Uganda’s borders.

    Ssempijja explained that DRC is a big market for Uganda’s goods and president Museveni’s government cannot leave militias to control it and put the entire region’s security at their mercy.

    Early this year, presidents of the East African countries under their umbrella the East African Community promised to deploy the region’s forces to fight M23 rebels.

    President Felix Tshisekedi on Friday told BBC that his government has enough evidence pining president Paul Kagame’s Rwanda government on supporting the M23 rebels.

    President Kagame denied the allegation and asked Tshisekedi to sit down and talk to rebels for the good of the region.

    Lawrence Kanyuka, the M23 spokesperson confirmed the resumption of fighting after two months since the presidents of the region ordered both parties to put down their guns.

    In their statement, Kanyuka claimed that DRC forces provoked them into figting when they started throwing bombs into territories in North Kivu province which are under their control.

    Security sources have disclosed that Uganda’s government is between a rock hard and a hard place because they cannot join the attack against M23 even though they signed an agreement with DRC government. They added that doing so will be annoying the other interested party.

    Sources divulged that because of the anger President Tshisekedi has, it is the reason why Dr. Kizza Besigye’s blue eyed boy Sam Mugumya was released from DRC military prison where he has spent over eight years.

    Mugumya was arrested in 2014 by DRC security forces after he was found with huge amounts of dollars and documents connected to rebel groups fighting the DRC government.

    Sources said that president Tshisekedi has been pleading to President Museveni to help him to fight the M23 but the father of the region is still making serious calculations.

    Sources added that Uganda has been affected so much because M23 has blocked the movement of goods from Bunagana to Goma yet the East African force has not yet started fighting because a common decision has not yet been taken on where to place the base.

    Frank Walusimbi, the senior communications officer of the United Nations High Commission for Refugees in Uganda revealed that a number of people have started crossing from DRC to Uganda to save their lives and are now being prepared to be taken to refugee centers.


    By Sengooba Alirabaki



    Security On High Alert After Sunday ADF-Linked Bomb Blast Near Uganda, DR Congo Border



    Uganda security agencies have been put on high alert after a bomb linked to the Allied Democratic Forces – ADF went off yesterday near Uganda, Congo border.

    The incident in the Eastern DRC happened at Pentecostal Church in Lhubirira, an immediate town located 4kms after Mpondwe border point. At least 10 people died on the spot and 47 others suffered injuries.

    “The terror attack shows that terrorism can occur any time and anywhere, and further reminds us all of the terrorist threats that we face as a country. Because of the existing threat environment, our Joint Counter terror task teams from CMI, Crime Intelligence, Counter terrorism, CID in coordination with territorial units, continue to operate with a heightened state of readiness. It is approximately, 425days, since the double terror task at CPS and Kampala Avenue that have led to several investigations, multiple arrests and recovery of an assortment of dangerous weapons. So far, 18 guns have been recovered, 1 PK gun and 116 PK rounds, 1 pistol, 7 IEDs, 21 electronic detoriators, 52 explogel explosives, 2 Axel blades, 2 emulsion explosives, an assortment of bomb making materials, walkie talkies, mobile phones, 185 other types of ammunition, and motorcycles etc. In addition, a total of 57 suspects (terrorists and rebels) have been arrested,” Police Spokesperson who doubles as the Joint Security Spokesman told the media in Kampala on Monday.

    And while those disruptive operations present a positive step in securing the safety of Ugandans, Enanga says that “there is still work to identify ADF cells of agents, collaborators, operatives and sponsors within the country.”

    “Several measures have also been put in place, to avert any hostile infiltrations and attacks at Mpondwe border and all other crossing points. For instance, we have stopped the movement of cargo and passenger boats across Lake Albert, intensified patrols in Bugoma forest and across the borderlines, bolstered security at major installations, markets and parking yards, and intensified intelligence on several targets among others,” he said.

    Enanga, however, asked the public not to be alarmed “by these steps because it is meant for their safety.”

    “We would like to further remind the public that the threats of terrorism are real, especially on soft targets, which are many and sometimes difficult to defend, especially restaurants, markets, shopping centres, public transportation hubs like taxi and bus parks, places of worship and other crowded places etc. as a result, we call upon the public to be extra alert and vigilant, as they go about their activities. Remember, the best defence against any terrorist threats is our collective community effort. Once again, please be alert but not alarmed. And report any suspicious behaviour or activity to the nearest police unit or security agency.”


    Continue Reading


    City Babe Who Offered Room For Cousin & Her Boyfriend Arrested For Double Murder



    The police are investigating circumstances under which two young adults died in a fire at Jinja-Nabweru on Thursday evening.

    The deceased have been identified as Patricia, 24, and Kajumba, 27.

    Findings show that the lovers visited Suzan Keitesi, 24; a cousin of Patricia on Thursday morning. Keitesi is a resident in an apartment at Jinja Kawempe Zone A, Jinja Kawempe Ward in Nabweru Division.

    However, the pair were found dead on Thursday evening in a suspicious manner, while Keitesi was rushed to a nearby clinic and later Kawempe hospital for first aid. She was later discharged that day.

    Suspecting foul play, detectives attached to Kawempe Police Station interacted with Keitesi on her hospital bed. Her statement looked uncoordinated. She has been detained as further investigations continue.

    Deputy Police Spokesperson Luke Owoyesigyire says Patricia and her boyfriend are suspected to have been murdered.

    “We have reserved the scene for further examination by officials from National Building Review Board, UMEME, and other stakeholders, to ascertain the exact cause of the fire. 

    Whereas the tenant had a gas cooker, it was in a store and it remained intact,” Owoyesigyire said. “We have however arrested Kaitesi Suzan on allegations of Murder as investigations continue.”



    Continue Reading


    Aponye MD Harold Byamugisha Still Missing – Security



    Police are searching for the Managing Director of Aponye Uganda Limited who went missing on Sunday night.

    Harold Byamugisha is said to have left home on Sunday dressed casually, promising his wife that he was to return.

    “The wife says he left home in a yellow shirt and white shorts. She said he called her around 11pm and informed her that he could return home in 20 minutes. He didn’t return,” Deputy Kampala Metropolitan Police Spokesperson Luke Owoyesigyire told the media yesterday.

    Byamugisha’s family has also put up an announcement, promising a Shs5m reward to anyone who can help them find him.

    “He was last seen in Ntinda on Sunday…driving his motor vehicle, a Range Rover, white in colour number UBF 017D. This is to inform the general public that whoever has any idea of his whereabouts, please call us on 0775363017, 07770611435 or report to the nearest police station. A reward of Shs5m is available,” the notice reads in part.

    But while reports emerged Friday morning that he had been found, security sources say Byamugisha is yet to be found.

    “He called us yesterday and said he is okay. But the wife who reported the case hasn’t physically seen him,” a security source said.

    Owoyesigyire says Byamugisha is still missing.

    “To us, he is still missing,” he said. “So, we are still looking for him and he is not safe and sound like he said.”


    Continue Reading

    like us


    theGrapevine is a subsidiary of Newco Publications Limited, a Ugandan multimedia group.
    We keep you posted on the latest from Uganda and the World. COPYRIGHT © 2022
    P.O Box 5511, Kampala - Uganda Tel: +256-752 227640 Email:
    theGrapevine is licenced by Uganda Communications Commission (UCC)