Connect with us
  • NEWS

    Museveni Should Revive His Relationship With The Media, He Must Meet Them And Hear Out Their Grievances; Tamale Mirundi…

    Published

    on

    Veteran journalist Joseph Tamale Mirundi, who formerly worked with the Presidential Press Office, has advised President Yoweri Museveni to renew his relationship with media, if they are to cease their hostility towards government.

    According to Tamale Mirundi, Museveni is currently facing a very hostile media fraternity and the only way to diffuse the hostility is meeting them and hearing out  their grievances.

    “Museveni is currently  faced with a very hostile media and unless he meets them and listens to their problems, it will really be tough for him,” Mirundi, who was speaking  during an interview on ABS TV, said, Sunday.

    He  added that; “ The President needs to call all these journalists, ask them what their problems are and find a solution for them. He should ask them who ate their  money and what else they need. He should improve his relationship with the media.”

    Mirundi was however quick to add that in case President Museveni decides to meet the journalists, there are some media practitioners who must not be a part of that meeting, because they are part of the group that ate money that was meant for journalists and among them is Kin Kariisa, of Next Media Group.

    It should be recalled that Kariisa fell out with  Mirundi after he scrapped off his once popular show ‘One on One With Tamale Mirundi’ from NBS TV and since then, they have no kind words for each other.

    Mirundi’s remarks however come a few days after the military brutalized journalists and other Ugandans who had gone with the National Unity Platform (NUP) leader Robert Kyagulanyi aka Bobi Wine,  to the United Nations Human Rights offices in Kololo, to hand over a petition for the UN intervention in human rights abuses in Uganda.

    A very furious Mirundi also revealed  how  Lt. Gen. Proscovia Nalweyiso  tried to convince him to work as President Museveni’s  adviser on Media Affairs but he refused.

    “That Nalweyiso  was trying to confuse herself that she can talk me into returning to State House to work as a Media adviser! Saying, “You will be paid from outside as a consultant.” Me Mirundi? To work as a consultant at State House? I will beat that Nalweyiso. If they want me to work  for State House, let them give money to Mirundi Media, not me.”

    He went on to brag about how they even tried to bribe him such that he could keep quiet and stop exposing  the dirty secrets of top government officials,

    “That man Nsubuga Simeo who was in police; one day he came to me with Shs600m   saying it had been given to me by someone who had asked him to deliver it. I rang the person who had sent him and I said, “No my friend, if you want to give me money, let me bring it back to you such that you can hand it to me personally,” but he refused. I sent away Nsubuga with the money I don’t know what he did with it.”

    Mirundi also revealed that as a result of  his crusade against corruption amongst top government officials, there are people who have always planned to put him out.

    He said that; “As a result of that, I made a decision not to attend any public functions, any meetings at State House or any event because of those people.”

    Commenting about the sanctions of the European Union on top Ugandan government officials and freezing aid, Mirundi said that the government needs to go slow on this matter, because in the end it will affect all Ugandans

    “On this matter, Bobi Wine and Museveni have to use the example of a canoe. When a canoe is overloaded and a storm comes,  you drop off some of the luggage in order to save the boat. Yes the sanctions are there, but Uganda must also be there too, so Bobi Wine and Museveni must agree to drop off some luggage for the good of Uganda. Bobi Wine must know that he wants power but he is still young and we all need Uganda to move on.”

     

    By Grapevine Reporter

    Comments

    NEWS

    Breaking: Buganda Kingdom Regent Owek. Tycoon Ssekalala, Who Raised Kabaka Mutebi Is Dead…

    Published

    on

    Famous Buganda kingdom stalwart Aga  Sekalala Sr, who was also one of Uganda’s prominent businessmen, has passed on.

    Acccording to credible sources, tycoon Sekalala, who was also the proprietor of Simba FM, UGACHICK and several other business ventures across the country, passed away while at his retirement home on Kazi Island, Bugaba- Bufumira Sub-county in Ssese Islands.

    Reliable sources reveal that Owek. Sekalala, who was one of the few Buganda kingdom regents that raised reigning Kabaka Ronald Muwenda Mutebi, has been one of the greatest pillars of Buganda Kingdom.

    This is because he was one of the few nobles who grew up in the realm of the Buganda Kingdom throne and was very influential all throughout the life of Kabaka Mutebi’s father His Majesty Ssekabaka Fredrick Mutesa I.

    According to Charles Tusubira, one of the elders in Ssese Islands, the late Ssekalala had worked tirelessly towards uplifting the lives the of people living in the islands by promoting education and sanitation amongst the island communities through constructing schools and financing health facilities.

    Details about Owek. Sekalala’s demise and his final send-off will be communicated in our subsequent reports.

     

    By Grapevine Reporter

     

     

     

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    NEWS

    Lawyer Mabirizi Petitions Regional Court To Stop Bobi Wine From Withdrawing Presidential Petition Against M7, Challenges Justice Dollo’s Refusal To Recuse Himself From Case…

    Published

    on

    Lawyer Male Mabirizi (L) and Robert Kyagulanyi aka Bobi Wine

    Maverick city lawyer Hassan Male Mabirizi, has petitioned  the East African Court of Justices, seeking an order stopping National Unity Platform(NUP) principal Robert Kyagulanyi  aka Bobi Wine from withdrawing the  petition he filed at the Supreme Court challenging President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni’s reelection.

    In his application for Stay of Proceedings or restraining of Chief Justice Alphonse Owiny-Dollo from taking part in the proceedings of Bobi Wine’s petition, Mabirizi seeks among others;

    “Staying all the proceedings and under presidential elections petition No.1 of 2021 (Kyagulanyi Ssentamu Robert VS Yoweri Museveni Tibuhaburwa, the Electoral Commission and the Attorney General including, but not limited to the actual Misc Application, Misc Application No 05 of 2021 for withdrawal of the petition and any other proceeding be UNTIL FINAL DETERMINATION OF THE EAST AFRICAN COURT OF JUSTICE REERENCE N0 09 2021.”

    He further insists that he will suffer irreparable damage if the petition proceeds with Chief Justice Owiny-Dollo participating on the panel of the nine justices of the Supreme Court, who are handling the said petition.

    He prays to the E.A Court to speed up the hearing of the application for balance of convenience, which is likely to be in his favour.

    Mabirizi challenges Chief Justice Dollo’s decision of declining to recuse himself from the panel of Justices who are hearing Bobi Wine’s petition on grounds of having been a lawyer to the 1st respondent, Museveni, which is tantamount to conflict of interest and likely to result into bias.

    The Attorney General however is yet respond  to Mabirizi’s Application.

    Meanwhile, the  Supreme Court has set Thursday March 4th, 2021 as the date for hearing the fate of Bobi Wine’s application for withdrawal of the petition and whether it shall be granted or not.

    It should also be noted that former presidential candidate Willy Mayambala has since written to the Supreme Court seeking advise on how he can inherit the petition, such that it can be heard by court to its logical end.

    By Arilabaki Sengooba

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    NEWS

    Opposition Politicians Must Stop Using Facebook  To Spread False Rumours-Museveni Warns

    Published

    on

    President Yoweri Museveni (L) and Facebook owner Mark Zuckerberg

    President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has faulted social media platform Facebook for being used by opposition figures in Uganda to spread false rumours about the country.

    Museveni made the remarks on Sunday during a meeting he held with a group of National Resistance Movement (NRM) cadres who conducted online campaigns for the ruling party during the recently concluded general election.

    Blaming Facebook for trying to sabotage NRM party campaigns by blocking and or deleting all pages and accounts that were being managed by NRM supporters, Museveni said that; “They deleted our people’s accounts under the guise, but we can see the bias, the discrimination standards they used. You cannot say that these were doing wrong, what about the other group (opposition) that have been spreading all forms of wrong information and inciting our people?” Museveni questioned, according to a State House statement issued on Sunday.

    He accused opposition politicians of spreading rumours using social media by painting a negative image about the country’s security situation in the eyes of the international community, saying that the limitation of access to Facebook will not stop the most important things from happening in Uganda.

    It should be noted that ever since President Museveni fell out with the owners of Facebook, he has since stopped giving national updates through his official Facebook page like he used to.

    Actually, the President last made a Facebook on post January 11th, shortly before the country went into elections and since then he has never made any public communication via his Facebook account.

    President Museveni fell out with   Facebook last year after  the government requested the social media platform owners to switch off all pages and media outlets that were presumed to be supporting Robert Kyagulanyi aka Bobi Wine’s National Unity Platform (NUP) agenda.

    However, instead implementing the government’s request, Facebook  advised government to take the matter to court, because it was likely to attract litigation.

    In retaliation, state operatives led by Ashburg Katto, Andrew Mukasa aka Bajjo, hacked pages and  media outlets that were being managed by NRM bloggers on Facebook, something that annoyed President Museveni.

    He thus ordered the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology, plus the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) to ensure that internet and social media are switched off completely, which  was the case until the electoral period was wound down.

    Although last month President Museveni directed the UCC and Ministry of ICT to switch back on the internet and social media, access to  Facebook  and other social media platforms  still remains restricted.

     

    By Grapevine Reporter

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    like us

    TRENDING