Connect with us

CRIME

NABBED: State House Health Monitoring Unit Arrests Kibuku District Health Officer Over Theft Of Drugs

Published

on

Dr Jackson Ojera Abusu showing journalists some of the drugs which were intercepted in a private home recently

The State House Health Monitoring Unit under the leadership of Dr. Ojera Jackson Abusu   has arrested the district health officer of Kibuku, Mr. Buyinza Godfrey Kagawa, on charges of facilitating a drug theft scandal that took advantage of government stores.

Buyinza, together with Mr. Chemtai Patrick, as supply a chain management officer at Intra Health, were arrested from their offices at Kibuku district headquarters. Their luck ran out following an incident in which Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) officers intercepted YY coaches ferrying Government of Uganda branded medicines enroute to Kampala at the Mukono checkpoint on 13th/April/2019. One suspect, Mr. Ongom Robson, was apprehended and handed over to the State House Health Monitoring Unit. He was netted with 3, 121dozes of adult coartem 24.

Upon interrogation, Ongom revealed that he was working with Chemtai, and later also named Buyinza as an accomplice. The two were tracked and arrested on Friday (27th/4/2019). They are being held at Mbale central police station pending further investigations and possible prosecution. It is suspected that millions of shillings worth of supplies had been swindled in the scam by the time the unit struck.

Drugs supplied by government through National Medical Stores (NMS) are meant for distribution to local health units where the public can access them. The unit urges members of the public to be more vigilant and report such cases of abuse of government services by unscrupulous officials.

Comments

CRIME

Jailed Tycoon Sebuufu To File Notice Of Appeal Against 90 Years Sentence For The Murder Of Katushabe

Published

on

Jailed pine car bond tycoon Muhammad Sebuufu has filed a notice of appeal in the court of appeal Kampala challenging his conviction.

Yesterday, High Court judge Anglin Senoga sentenced Sebuufu to 90 years in prison for murder, kidnap with intention to murder and aggravated robbery. When the Grapevine spoke to Sebuufu’s lawyer Evans Ocheng this afternoon, he said, “we have instructions to file a notice to appeal against the High Court judgement delivered by her lordship Anglin Senoga against our client.”

He said that after critically studying the judgement, they will file their full appeal because they received the judgement very later and they have not yet received the stamped record of proceedings of the case. However, Ocheng cited that the judgement was made based on hearsay and without critical evidence like the killer weapon which was used to murder late Betty Donah Katushabe.

Ocheng insisted that his client was not placed on the scene of crime but the judge only based her judgement on communication between the convicts. Ocheng adds that they are also challenging the shs100m awarded to Katushabe family because there was no prayer from the prosecution that the summation of the money lost after the death of Katushabe was totaling to 100 million. During the litigation process, defense lawyer Caleb Alaka expressed argued that the prayers made by the prosecution were emotional not legally.

Sebuufu was sentenced to 40 years on murder, 30 years on aggravated robbery and 20 years on kidnap with intention to murder. Katushabe was violently murdered in 2015 for allegedly failing to pay a balance of shs9m on the purchase of a Toyota Premio car from Sebuufu’s pine car bond.

By Jamil Lutakome

Comments

Continue Reading

CRIME

GUILTY AS CHARGED: You Kidnapped And Killed Her – Court Finally Convicts Pine Car Bond Businessman Sebuufu On Katushabe’s Murder

Published

on

It was tears and jubilation as pine car bond businessman Muhammad Sebuufu and seven others were convicted on the murder of businesswoman Donna Betty Katushabe, a former Centenary bank employee. 

“I found out that state has proved beyond reasonable doubt all the ingredients in the three counts of murder, kidnap with intention to murder and armed robbery which were charged against Muhammad Ssebuufu, Phillip Mirambe, Steven Lwanga, Shaban Odutu, Paul Tasingika,  Dameseni Ssentongo, Godfrey Kayinza  and I  convict them,” High Court Judge Flavia Anglin Senoga said. She said that the prosecution team led by senior state prosecutor Michael Ojok  and Winfred Ahimbisibwe placed Sebuufu and his co-accussed on the scene of crime at pine car bond in Kampala where the deceased was tortured from and later died at the entrance of  Kampala central police station.

The late Katushabe’s lawyer Annet Kyomugisha (2nd R)

The judge refuted the alibis which Sebuufu based on to defend himself that on the day Katushabe was tortured, he was at Mwanga 2 court in Mengo not at pine as the state witnesses testified. The judge stated that the convict had malice forethought to murder the deceased because after planning the move to kidnap her from her home in Bwebajja on Entebbe road instead of driving her to Kampala central police station. The soft-spoken judge said that the act of taking Katushabe to pine car bond showed that the suspects wanted to negotiate with her on how to pay the remaining shs9m on the purchased Toyota Premio from pine car bond. 

She based her judgment on the postmortem report which indicated that Katushabe was first tortured before she died. The learned judge wondered why the convicts instead of torturing the deceased didn’t file a civil suit so that their balance is paid through civil courts. She noted that the suspect participated in committing the crime according to the testimony of Peter Tumusiime, a lawyer who was sent to pine to rescue Katushabe from Sebuufu’s hands.

Tumusiime told court that he saw with his necked eye Sebuufu and Odutu undressing and beating up the deceased while squeezing her breasts and private parts. The judge further pointed out the star testimony was from Annet Kyomugisha, a lawyer to Katushabe, who told court that it was Sebuufu who called her on phone and put Katushabe on the loud speaker. Katushabe was crying and begging her lawyer to look for money because her captors had promised to kill her if she did not get the money.

Katushabe’s relatives jubilating

However, the judge put Steven Lwanga, a special hire driver at pine on charges of associating with the convicts who murdered Katushabe because when he was hired to drive Katushabe to police, he drove her back to pine where she was seriously tortured. State prosecutor Michael Ojok asked for an adjournment to prepare his submission on the sentencing because the convict deserves a maximum punishment of death. Sebuufu’s lawyer Evans Ochang told journalists that he is not happy with the judgment and he has to first read the entire judgment before advising his client on the way forward and whether to appeal in the court or not.

Katushabe’s relatives celebrated after the judgment and applauded the judge for standing by the truth adding that Sebuufu bribed all the people who were handling their case since 2015. Robert Muhindo, a brother to Katushabe said that even though Katushabe is dead and they can’t return her life, she will feel very contentedwherever she is. The convicted will know their fate on 1st July 2019.

By Jamil Lutakome

Comments

Continue Reading

CRIME

It Was A Stage Managed Robbery – Rwomushana Punches Holes In Fang Fang Hotel Roberry

Published

on

Former State House operative cum political commentator Charles Rwomushana has punched holes in the robbery at Fang Fang hotel in Nakasero over the weekend.

On Sunday night, a joint team of Internal Security Organisation (ISO) and other security personnels allegedly arrested two soldiers and their driver in a foiled armed robbery at Fang Fang Hotel near Sheraton Kampala Hotel.

The security forces identified the suspects as Cpl Abbas Majid, Lance Cpl Ivan Asiimwe and their driver Ivan Opio.

They say the suspects were armed with two Sub-Machine Guns loaded with 300 bullets. They allegedly attacked the hotel at midnight but were intercepted by security operatives from ISO and SFC. The fourth suspect is still on the run.

Rwomushana, who is a security operative himself says, “Four Museveni soldiers are said to have been involved in a foiled robbery at Fang Fang.

This story breaks on the heels of the Nansana attack. I have argued before and I will still do that the Nansana attack was not a robbery. I wouldn’t consider the NRA attack on Kabale Bank of Uganda currency centre a robbery. This Fang Fang operation appears interesting. The targeted available amount of money was five million shillings. Gross profit for each soldier involved in the operation was averagely one million shillings.”

Rwomushana adds, “Most of these operators are noncommissioned officers (NCOs)…whose salaries are way above Museveni LDUs. ..above 300,000.

Expenses would include money for the informer insider, surveillance operations etc. Take home would be around 500,000. That is two months’ salary.

So what would be the motivation for Museveni military unit to indulge in such a silly robbery? I don’t see money being the motivating factor.

Did the purported robbery take place? Or its merely stage managed as propaganda to show that yes soldiers are involved in robberies but ISO and SFC are very efficient in curtailing them? I’m sure Fang Fang has a cctv camera system. Kindly upload those motion pictures so that the Thomas in me confirms the resurrection. Otherwise I will hold its another episode in a complex movie.”

By Doreen Menezer

Comments

Continue Reading

like us

TRENDING

error: Content is protected !!