Connect with us

SPORTS

NO MORE HUGE SPENDING: Real Madrid’s Big-Spending ‘Cannot Continue’ As Boss Zinedine Zidane Faces Major Frustration In Pursuit Of Mbappe And Paul Pogba For Squad Rebuild…

Published

on

Zinedine Zidane’s attempts to overhaul his Real Madrid squad could be frustrated as the days of ‘€100million (£89m) signings are over’, according to reports in Spain on Wednesday.

Since returning to the manager’s chair at the Bernabeu, Zidane has been attempting to overhaul an ageing squad in a bid to bring back the level of success he enjoyed in his first spell, when he won three Champions League titles.

Paris Saint-Germain striker Kylian Mbappe and Manchester United’s Paul Pogba are both of interest to the club but Marca’s front cover on Wednesday insists the days of Galactico-style signings is now ‘over’ due to the vast number of players contracted to the club.

AS Diario’s cover story reveals how that of June 30, Real Madrid will have 37 players under contract at the Bernabeu.

Accompanying a graphic that showed Zidane surrounded by a number of puzzle pieces, to represent the different players, they report that the Frenchman needs to find a new home ‘for a third’ of the squad.

There are currently 26 players contracted at the club and a further 11 out on loan, leaving Zidane with some major decisions to make in terms of who gets a stay of execution – and who is shown the exit door.

The likes of Martin Odegaard and Achraf Hakimi have been the two stand-outs on loan spells at Real Sociedad and Borussia Dortmund respectively and they will believe they can push for regular minutes for Real next season.

Players such as Gareth Bale and James Rodriguez both remain on lucrative contracts at the club and an inability to shift such big earners could stifle moves for some of their top targets.

Bale has long been deemed not to be in Zidane’s long-term plans and was previously close to a move to China.

The Welshman was ready to join Chinese outfit Jiangsu Suning on a free transfer last summer before Madrid dramatically pulled the plug on that deal.

For Colombian midfielder Rodriguez, his contract expires in June 2021 and so if the club cannot attract a buyer this summer, they risk being lumbered with the player for another 12 months.

Lucas Vasquez and Luka Modric are two others with less than certain futures at the club while Dani Ceballos may not have done enough while on loan at Arsenal to convince Zidane that he is ready to slot back into the club’s midfield alongside Casemiro and Fede Valverde.

Alongside Mbappe and Pogba, who have longed been linked with a move to the Spanish capital, Eduardo Camavinga and Rayan Cherki are said to be high up on the wishlist of the Madrid boss if he can shift the deadwood.

 

Source: Daily Mail

Comments

SPORTS

MESSI: Suarez Was Unfairly “Forced” Out…

Published

on

Argentinian star and Barcelona forward, Lionel Messi has expressed emotional grief after the departure of Uruguayan counterpart Luis Suarez to rivals Atletico Madrid for £5.5m on a two-year deal.

The 33 year old had one more year to run on the contract he signed with Barca in 2016, but was told by new head coach Ronald Koeman last month that he was not part of his plans.

Suarez and Lionel Messi struck up a strong friendship on and off the field at Barcelona.

With Messi, Suarez won La Liga titles, four Copa del Reys, the Champions League, the Club World Cup and the European Super Cup during his hugely successful time at the Nou Camp.

Suarez was filmed leaving Barcelona’s training ground in tears on Wednesday as his transfer to Atletico neared completion.

Suarez departs Barcelona as their second-highest goal-scorer of all time, having scored 198 goals since signing from Liverpool in 2014.

Lionel Messi has aimed fresh criticism at the Barcelona hierarchy, following Suarez’s departure from the club to Atletico.

Messi, who came close to leaving the Nou Camp earlier in the transfer window before reversing his threat to end his contract unilaterally, has hit out at the club’s management of Suarez’s departure from the Spanish giants.

He wrote on Instagram: “You deserved a fitting farewell for the person that you are: one of the best players in the club’s history, having achieved incredible things both individually and collectively. You didn’t deserve to be pushed out the way they did, but the truth is nothing surprises me anymore.

 

Via SkySports

Comments

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Kajoba Has No Excuse Of Not Retaining The League Title For Vipers – Coach Makumbi…

Published

on

Former Bunamwaya FC coach, Richard Makumbi has said that Fred Kajoba will have no excuses for not winning the Uganda Premier League title next season.

Makumbi who is the current head coach, for Mbarara outfit Nyamitoobora in the FUFA Big league added that Vipers management have given Kajoba everything he needs like; signing players of his choice and recruiting experienced Paul Kiwanuka from Bright Stars as his assistant coach.

Coach Makumbi says there will therefore be no excuse if Kajoba doesn’t win the league, because he has been given what he asked for to retain the league.

“If you are given what you ask for, you have to get the job done, there’s is no excuse for that, coach Kajoba must make sure Vipers are crowned league champions,” Makumbi emphasized.

The experienced coach however also cited the need for coach Kajoba to make winning at home traditional, and register victories on the road,  as part of his bargain.

Makumbi who was baptized the ‘King of promotions’ after leading various clubs to the Uganda Premier League from the FUFA Big League tipped Vipers for the title crown.

He however also noted that KCCA and URA have prepared well and are in for some stiff competition.

 

By Juma Ali

Comments

Continue Reading

SPORTS

COVID19 Has Left Us Penniless, We Now Need Support – Boxing Council Boss Katongole Cries Out…

Published

on

Uganda Professional Boxing Council (UPBC) Vice President, Simon Katongole has said that their lives have been negatively affected since the outbreak of the COVID19.

In an interview with theGrapevine, Katongole said that the cancellation of all boxing fights buried their source of income.

Katongole disclosed that before the lockdown, three international fights had been arranged, one at Hotel Africana and two at International University of East Africa (IUEA).

Frank Kiwalabye was scheduled to take on a South African opponent while heavy weight boxer Shafic Kiwanuka was set to face an Egyptian.

Katongole said that they now need support like all the other organisations that have been affected by COVID19, “We are broke, we don’t have anything in our pockets.”

Katongole further hinted that even if government opens up sporting activities including boxing, as long as fans are excluded from attending these events, they will still struggle financially.

 

By Juma Ali

Comments

Continue Reading

like us

TRENDING

error: Content is protected !!