Connect with us
  • SPORTS

    TODAY’S FOOTBALL GOSSIP: Mourinho Charged By FA, Could Face Chelsea Touchline Ban, Liverpool Sweating Over Van Dijk, Salah And Mane

    Published

    on

    Jose Mourinho has been charged by the Football Association over comments he made after Manchester United’s late comeback win over Newcastle earlier this month.
    The action by the FA is related comments made by Mourinho as he walked off the Old Trafford pitch.
    It is claimed Mourinho said ‘fodas filhos de puta’ which translates as ‘f*** off sons of b*****s’ in Portuguese.
    The Manchester United boss also wagged his little finger at the camera as he walked down the touchline towards the tunnel.
    Mourinho has until Friday at 6pm to respond and if he admits the charge, he could be suspended from the touchline for United’s Saturday lunchtime clash with Chelsea.
    The FA said: “Jose Mourinho has been charged following Manchester United’s game against Newcastle United on 6 October 2018.
    “It is alleged that his language at the end of the fixture, as captured by the broadcast footage, was abusive and/or insulting and/or improper.
    “He has until 6pm on 19 October 2018 to respond to the charge.”

    Kane on Madrid move
    Harry Kane was asked if he wanted to join Real Madrid after England’s win over Spain last night, and his response was brilliant.
    Kane was in good form for England as they beat the Spaniards in Seville despite not finding the net.
    Kane set up goals for teammates Marcus Rashford and Raheem Sterling in the 3-2 win as England stunned Spain.
    But, when asked if he wanted to move to Madrid last night when leaving the Real Betis stadium, he told Marca: “Sorry, not today.”

    Liverpool Sweating over trio
    Liverpool are sweating over the fitness of their top players.
    The Reds have been hardest hit during the international break with Mane (thumb), Van Dijk (bruised ribs), Salah and Naby Keita (both hamstring) all picking up injuries.
    The quartet could all join Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain on the sidelines, although James Milner and Adam Lallana are eyeing returns against Huddersfield.

    Giroud in transfer talk
    Olivier Giroud has opened up on transfer talks of a move to Marseille. “It did not go as far as was claimed,” Giroud said.
    “There was contact [from Marseille] last year, but nothing really concrete this summer. I had just arrived at Chelsea, it was not the time to pack my bags again three months later.
    “For me, Chelsea is the top club in England, the one that has won the most titles over the last 10 years. I am where I wanted to be. So why leave?”

    Angel Di Maria return
    Angel Di Maria could reportedly be set for a sensational return to the Premier League despite a previously unhappy spell with Manchester United.
    Di Maria failed to make the grade with Manchester United and spent just one season there, scoring just four times in 32 appearances and left in 2015.
    The Argentine – who is currently with French champions Paris Saint-Germain – is coming to the end of his current deal at the Parc des Princes.
    And according to the Daily Mirror, Di Maria is open to a move back to England and he is holding out for a lucrative contract offer worth £200,000 a week.
    The report suggests that Di Maria wants to leave PSG, but his agents are supposedly convinced they can secure a deal for their client.

    Lorenzo Insigne swoop?
    Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp will look to strengthen his attack next summer, according to reports.
    The German tactician is in need of a new No 10, and according to Italian news outlet Rai Sport, Insigne has emerged as a target.
    The report indicates that the Reds are already keeping tabs on the Napoli star, who has been transformed from a winger into a striker, ahead of next summer.
    However, it is thought that the Naples outfit have no desire to sell the 27-year-old.
    Insigne impressed against Liverpool when he scored the winner in a 1-0 victory for the Serie A side when the two sides met in the Champions League group stages earlier this month.

    Cesc Fabregas to Atletico Madrid?
    Chelsea could lose Cesc Fabregas on a free transfer with Atletico Madrid circling, reports claim.
    Fabregas has been a fringe player under Maurizio Sarri this term, making just three appearances, with two of them coming in the Europa League.
    Last month, Express Sport reported that Fabregas could be at the centre of a transfer battle in January between AC Milan and Inter Milan.
    Inter may go after Modric once again, however according to the Daily Mirror, Fabregas is on Atletico’s radar.
    Should they make a move, they could sign him on a pre-contract agreement when the transfer window reopens.

    MORE FROM THE FOOTBALL WORLD

    Jamaican eight-time Olympic sprint champion Usain Bolt, 32, has been offered a two-year contract with Maltese club Valletta FC(ESPN)

    Manchester City are prepared to pay £62m for Ajax’s 21-year-old Netherlands midfielder Frenkie de Jong, who has also been linked with Barcelona and Tottenham. (Mundo Deportivo, via Sun)

    City have a buy-back clause on Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho, giving them first refusal on the 18-year-old England international. (Manchester Evening News)

    Manchester United have dismissed suggestions the Premier League club could soon be put up for sale. (Mirror) 

    Barcelona have joined Manchester United in the race to sign Tottenham’s 29-year-old Belgium centre-back Toby Alderweireld. (Mirror)

    Wales midfielder Aaron Ramsey, 27, is open to joining one of Arsenal’s top six rivals if he leaves Emirates Stadium on a free transfer in the summer. (ESPN)

    Manchester United and Spurs will have to wait to find out if Chelsea will try to re-sign Netherlands defender Nathan Ake, if either club follow up their interest in the 23-year-old Bournemouth defender. (Telegraph)

    Chelsea are prepared to spend 20m euros (£17.6m) on Brescia’s Italian midfielder Sandro Tonali, 28, in the January transfer window. (Calciomercato – in Italian)

    Liverpool are interested in Napoli and Italy forward Lorenzo Insigne, 27. (Rai Sport – via Sun)

    Chelsea and France striker Olivier Giroud, 32, says he was not as close to leaving Stamford Bridge for Ligue 1 side Marseille in the summer as some reports suggested. (Express)

    Manchester United and England left-back Luke Shaw’s proposed new five-year deal at Old Trafford is worth £160,000 a week. The 23-year-old’s current contract expires in the summer. (Times – subscription required)

    Liverpool forward Sadio Mane, 26, was pictured wearing a cast on his left hand after suffering an injury before Senegal’s game against Sudan. (Mail)

    Spanish full-back Alberto Moreno, 26, is set to leave the Reds at the end of the season a free transfer. (Goal)

    Arsenal’s Francedefender Laurent Koscielny, 33, says part of him was rooting against his country in July’s World Cup final against Croatia – a tournament he missed because of injury. (Canal Plus, via Goal.com)

    Comments

    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published.

    NEWS

    She Cranes Star Nuba Reveals Why She Decided To Play For Uganda Not South Sudan; Why She Regrets Giving Birth Early…

    Published

    on

    She Cranes player Mary Nuba

    Born in South Sudan but grew in Uganda, that’s the story of the She Cranes goal shooter Mary Nuba Cholhok who was voted as the best shooter in the just concluded Fast5 Series tournament which was held in New Zealand.

    Uganda emerged in fifth position in the tournament. theGrapevine had a chance to talk to Nuba before she went back to England for her professional career.

    Grapevine: Why did you decide to play for Uganda and not for your native country South Sudan?

    Nuba: South Sudan is still lagging behind in Netball and I’m getting old, that’s why I decided to play for Uganda’s She Cranes.

    Grapevine: What challenges have you faced so far in your career?

    Nuba: Thinking about my five-year baby who stays in Uganda yet I’m in England playing for my professional club.

    Grapevine: Then what about your husband [the baby’s father] ?

    Nuba: I’m not married, though I gave birth.

    Mary Nuba was awarded Fans player of the Fast5 Series tournament

    Grapevine: How did you manage giving birth and playing Netball?

    Nuba: I realized that later that I made a mistake of getting pregnant. But I stood on my feet, forgot all the past and decided to move on with my child and my career.

    Grapevine: How do you manage those good performances?

    Nuba: I work very hard ever day in order to achieve my goals.

    Grapevine: Where do you see She Cranes in four years to come?

    Nuba: I see She Cranes winning the Netball World cup because we have good players who are still young.

    Grapevine: Tell us about the best game in your career?

    Nuba: When we defeated South Africa in the Common Wealth games in Birmingham.

    Grapevine: Who’s your role model in the game of Netball?

    Nuba: Peace Proscovia because of the way she managed to lift her life from a poor background. She is now superstar in the game.

     

     

    By Juma Ali

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    NEWS

    MIRACLE: All She Cranes Players Return After Incidents Of Players Disappearing While On Duty Abroad…

    Published

    on

    She Cranes players and one of the start player Goal Shooter Mary Cholhok Nuba

    It was a miracle this time around after all the She Cranes players returned from New Zealand.

    It has been a habit for some Netball players to escape when the team travels for international tournaments.

    Just last month, two She Cranes players; Nakanyike Shakira, who was a Police Player and Rose Namutebi, who was a KCCA Player, disappeared in UK, during She Cranes international friendlies.

    The disappearance of these two players followed the disappearance of centre Player, Halimah Nakachwa, who disappeared in UK, in 2017 during another international friendly in UK.

    However, this time around, all the nine players who went for the first five series tournament in New Zealand, where She Cranes emerged fifth, after wining three games and losing three games, all returned with the team.

    National players disappearing while on duty abroad is also a habit in other sports disciplines like; boxing, table tennis, Rugby among others.

     

    By Juma Ali

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    NEWS

    It’s Time For Golola To Rest: I’m Going To Punch Him Into Retirement – General Fungu Vows…

    Published

    on

    Moses Golola (L) and General Fungu (R)

    General Hamza Fungu has vowed to fight Moses Golola and send him into retirement come 26th December. 2022.

    Fungu said this during the launch at Akamwesi gardens today.

    Uganda’s middle weight kick boxing champion, Golola Moses is set to face his former trainer, General Hamza Fungu on bixing day at Akamwesi shopping mail gardens.

    Golola, who is known for his many words said that he has beaten many fighters who were better than Fungu, “now look at this piglet, I’m going to show him why I’m called Golola Moses ‘of Uganda ‘  and I call upon Ugandans to come and be witnesses on that day.”

    Though Golola said that he signed a contract which allows both fighters to fight until one gets tired, officials in charge of organizing the show said they will fight K-1 style for five rounds.

    Grapevine had a chance to sit down with Golola’s challenger General Fungu and and this is what he had to say;

    theGrapevine: How are you prepared for this fight?

    Fungu: I’m well prepared but they have also given us enough time. So, I’m going to prepare more.

    theGrapevine: Why, among fighters did you choose Golola?

    Fungu: I have been asking to fight Golola for the last five years but he has been dodging me. He one time asked for 20,000 dollars to fight me.

    theGrapevine: Why do you think he accepted this time around?

    Fungu: I think this time, he has been given a lot of money.

    theGrapevine: Which tactics are you going to use to defeat Golola?

    Fungu : Golola has words but I have the tactics which will defeat Golola.

    theGrapevine: Many people have come out to challenge Golola but he finally wins?

    Fungu : He has been favoured many times.

    theGrapevine: Is it true that the contract you signed for the fight allows you to fight until one of you gets tired?

    Fungu : The contract is a disadvantage to Golola not me because I was born a fighter.

    theGrapevine: What next after this fight?

    Fungu : After this fight, I will fight three more three bouts and retire.

     

    By Juma Ali

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    like us

    TRENDING

    theGrapevine is a subsidiary of Newco Publications Limited, a Ugandan multimedia group.
    We keep you posted on the latest from Uganda and the World. COPYRIGHT © 2022
    P.O Box 5511, Kampala - Uganda Tel: +256-752 227640 Email: info@thegrapevine.co.ug
    theGrapevine is licenced by Uganda Communications Commission (UCC)