Connect with us
  • EDUCATION

    UCU Bosses In Mega Advertising Scandal-CBS Staff Involved

    Published

    on

    A top manager in the administration department at UCU Mukono is jobless as you read this after being caught in a racket of mafia that caused the academic institution to lose a lot of money in falsified advertisement deals. A manager who comes from the east, and his name will be abbreviated as Baso-Jo, was put in charge of production and placement of adverts and other media messages publicizing UCU’s academic programs.

    Emphasis was more so put on UCU’s new campuses like the one in Mengo near Kabaka’s palace.  Baso-Jo, a veteran from the broadcasting media background, was dispatched by his UCU bosses with money to go and negotiate a deal for Kabaka’s CBS radio to air the UCU adverts for a prolonged period of time. When he reached the station, Baso-Jo thought of a quick way to make money for himself personally at the expense of his employer the UCU. He sat down with some managers and briefed them about his plan how they can make enjawulo and share the money. He assured them this was the best way to have the win-win situation. Baso-Jo suggested placing the UCU adverts in some of the most popular CBS radio programs with wide listenership. ‘Let’s use DJ mentions and the result will be the same. UCU message will reach the people and lets spread it to many different programmes on both radios-88.8 and 89.2-and my boss the VC Prof Senyonyi won’t know” Baso-Jo proposed to the CBS managers and some of them agreed with his plan.

    It was agreed a way would be found to prepare fictitious paper work and the reverends at UCU would be happy all the same. Popular presenters and DJs were identified and put in the deal and all this was meant to use the cheapest way to put across the UCU message so that enjawulo can be shared and eaten. ‘Don’t worry I’m the user department and the one to monitor if the messages are being aired” Baso-Jo told his CBS accomplices when one of them said ‘but sometimes it’s hard to smuggle in such DJ mentions mainly when Abbey Mukiibi, Kasozi and Kawooya Mwebe are in the building. On some days they stay in office until late what if they catch me?” Baso-Jo said ‘don’t worry we can make up for such a hard days and compensate it with more mentions the next day’.  But somehow Kasozi, Abbey and Kawooya became keen and asked ‘where are the LPOs for those UCU adverts? They are becoming too frequent yet there is nothing on file.’ They tasked CBS general manager to follow up. The presenters of those programmes were summoned and warned not to air unauthorized adverts and specifically those of UCU. This is how the vertically challenged Baso-Jo got into the frying pan. The reverends were no longer hearing the messages yet the lump sum of money had been released at the start of the UCU advertising campaign. Baso-Jo tried to talk too much creating confusion but the reverends were very alert this time.  They asked him for the schedule showing the exact time the ads are supposed to run.
    He was there just seeing stars saying “you see you see”. The reverend told him ‘my friend this is a serious matter top management wants results for the money that was released to you for those CBS adverts.
    You can’t eat church money just like that’.  As if he didn’t know what is happening, Baso-Jo said ‘okay my boss I will go to Bulange on Monday to find out what is happening.’ Monday came and there were no adverts airing still. This forced one of the reverends to go to Mengo where the people in the booking office told him there was nothing about UCU regarding the advertising contract.  That is how UCU and CBS management agreed to put together a joint probe which exposed the big racket and Mr. Baso-Jo, who was ever bragging about being a big man in UCU, was showed the exit and went crying like a goat. His effort to get a new job has so failed because each time reference is made to UCU being his past work place, the reverends send a very strong recommendation saying ‘that one is a thief recruit at your own risk’. In CBS Baso-Jo’s accomplices survived the knife because they reported to management ‘were only doing what the client, Baso-Jo instructed us to do we weren’t aware of the original instructions from his station’. The three bosses Abbey, Kawooya and Kasozi forced the implicated programme presenters to cough money for the mentions that had been airing after all the presenters lied the three managers that it was on credit.

    Comments

    Click to comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    EDUCATION

    We Don’t Need To Be Threatened – President Museveni Warns Teachers Union Leaders…

    Published

    on

    President Tibuhaburwa Museveni

    President Museveni has assured teachers and key players in the education sector to stop using threats while pressurizing him into reopening learning institutions.

    During celebrations of the National Teacher’s day at Kololo, Museveni said they don’t have to be threatened.

    “”This lockdown time was for survival and am proud that we shielded our people from dying. We don’t need to be threatened. Why do you threaten me?” he asked.

    Museveni was responding to issues raised by Filbert Baguma the Secretary General Uganda National Teachers Union (UNATU) regarding the economic troubles faced by teachers who were put out of work as well as the increase in teenage pregnancies among the female learners who are stuck at home.

    “In Brazil they reached 600,000 deaths who died of corona. Here we have only seen 3000 deaths in one year and seven months. You think that is not important?” he asked.

    Having maintained total closure of learning institutions since March last year, Museveni says safeguarding the lives of learners supersedes any other concerns raised by stakeholders.

    “No amount of lost time is greater than lost lives,” he noted giving himself as an example of how he fought in the bush war to stabilize the country first.

    “The problem is some of you have not seen problems. I had to interrupt my life for 8 years in Tanzania fighting Idi Amin. Then 5 years in the bush that’s a total of 13 years. Is anybody better off than myself, the one who lost 13 years,” he emphasized.

    “The thing was to survive. Even if I lost time, if there is such a big danger it’s better than dying,” he added.

    Museveni emphasized that when they went to fight, some of the children left school and joined them in the bush and when they came back after many years of fighting, they started a Kadogo school in Mbarara and called them to resume their abandoned studies of which many of them are now doctors and what not.

    “You cannot compare death with losing time, jobs, money. That is reversible. I can lose today but tomorrow I will regain what I lost. But death is irreversible,” he said.

    First Lady and Minister of Education and sports Janet Kataha Museveni revealed that so far 60% of the teachers have been fully vaccinated.

     

    By Hope Kalamira

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    EDUCATION

    Higher Education Students’ Financing Board Awards 11,187 Students With Education Loans…

    Published

    on

    HESFB Executive Director Michael Wanyama

    The Higher Education Student’s financing board led by Executive Director Michael Wanyama has awarded loans to a total of 11,187 beneficiaries, 9,632 undergraduate degrees and 1,555 undergraduate diplomas.

    The board with funding from Government of Uganda set aside UGX6Billion to support 1500 new cohort of student loan beneficiaries and at least 100 continuing students in Academic year 2021-2022.

    “Beneficiaries to study 130 degree programmes and 76 undergraduate diploma courses mainly in Science Technology, Engineering and Math(STEM) programmes,” he said.

    “These are programmes which have been identified in the subsequent National Development Plans as essential for Nation Development and critical in filling the current human resources gaps in the country,” he added.

    Wanyama noted that persons with disabilities can access loans to pursue any accredited Programme of their choice including Business and Humanities Programmes under affirmative action.

    “These courses are currently tenable at 22 Chartered Universities (10 public and 12 private) and 36 other Tertiary institutions in Uganda. The Higher Education Students’ Financing Board (HESFB) has since 2014 been implementing the Student’s Loan Scheme, where qualified Ugandan students Loans in a bid to increase access to Higher education,” he said.

    He added, “I therefore announce to all prospective applicants that the Board is now open for applications for the 8th Cohort on the study loans under the Student’s Loan Scheme from eligible Ugandan students who have been admitted under the listed Undergraduate Diploma and Degree programmes for the Academic Year 2021-2022 in the Public Universities, Private Chartered Universities and the listed Other Tertiary Institutions.”

    About the Student’s Loan Scheme.

    The Higher Education Students Financing Board disburses fees to the successful Needy Students on a straight line basis and upon completion of Studies, they are offered a Grace period of 12months after which the maximum repayment period is twice the study duration.

    The scheme has added to the National stock of applied scientists in the four major areas of the Economy where in Health, the scheme has supported the training over 3,000 Health and Medical Personnel, over 2,000 Science teachers, 1,000 Agricultural experts and close to 3,000 Engineers among others.

    By Hope Kalamira

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    EDUCATION

    Education Minister Janet Museveni Halts Transfer Of Secondary School Teachers…

    Published

    on

    Education Minister Janet Museveni (Photo: Internet)

    The Minister of Education and Sports spokesperson Mr. Dennis Mugimba has disclosed that the First Lady who also doubles as the senior education Minister, Janet Museveni has halted the transfer of secondary school teachers with immediate effect.

    While addressing media today, Mr. Mugimba said the Minister made the decision after noticing inconsistencies in the transfer exercise which was marred by delays in getting the teachers on payroll, replacing the transferred teachers some of who have failed to report to new schools they have been relocated to.

    “The Minister of Education and Sports received credible information that the way secondary school teachers in government schools are transferred, was having many gaps,” Mr. Mugimba said.

    “It’s against this backdrop that the minister decided that the transfer exercise is halted for the time being until the loopholes have been fixed,” he added.

    Mr. Mugimba held, “She instructed that as a ministry we temporarily stop the transferring of secondary school teachers with immediate effect until an exercise which is going to be conducted by the Education Service Commission takes place.”

    He emphasized that this exercise will identify how long the teachers on payroll have actually been there and how many contract staff are in each school.

    “The validation exercise is expected to begin once secondary schools are reopened following a pronouncement by President Museveni,” Mr. Mugimba said.

    He also revealed that the ministry has trained 54 national trainers to train local governments about the Standard Operating Procedures that should be observed in educational institutions of learning amid planned reopening of schools.

    “We trained them about the issue of roles, who does what to ensure that our institutions of education are complying with these SOPs especially the role of the headteacher or the head of institution that is the principal, vice chancellor in ensuring compliance with SOPs,” he said.

     

    By Hope Kalamira

    Comments

    Continue Reading

    like us

    TRENDING